Student Orientation Intern
Position Number: 900683
Department or Office: Center for Campus Activities & Leadership
Level: Level C (Specialist)
The Student Orientation Interns are experienced Middlebury College students who are para-professional members of the Center for Campus Activities and Leadership (CCAL). SOIs create a link between Orientation Leaders (OLs), the CCAL staff, and the Middlebury College community. The key responsibility of the SOIs is to support the goals of CCAL and Orientation by creating a positive and professional experience while fulfilling their duties. A successful candidate will be able to articulate the goals and purpose of Orientation for the multiple constituents served: new students; parents and family members; OLs; Middlebury College faculty, staff, and students; and the Middlebury community. Receive quality experience as a para-professional staff member!
- assist first-year students, their parents, and family members become acclimated to the College
- assist first-year students in learning about the academic program, policies, and faculty expectations of students
- assist first-year students in learning about various services and resources on campus
- assist first-year students, their parents, and family members in learning about the various aspects of campus life, including the Honor System, traditions, campus activities, and support services
- Intern will work 37.5 hours per week during the summer.
- Operate as part of the Center for Campus Activities and Leadership staff
- Participate in recruitment, selection, and training of Orientation Leaders (OLs)
- Research, design, and lead group presentations, including training sessions and retreats
- Perform duties as members of the Orientation team, providing a welcoming campus experience for first-year students and their families
- Conduct meetings with your team members, as needed
- Implement and reinforce skill and knowledge development for OLs training and Orientation Week
- Serve as liaison between OLs and other staff members (student and professional)
- Help as needed with duties that emerge over the course of planning and coordinating Orientation
- Design and maintain the Orientation Website
- Extensive knowledge of Middlebury College and its history, students, academics, campus life, and traditions
- A positive attitude that is interested in learning, thinking creatively, and working as a member of a team
- Participation in the SOI meetings in March and April
- Availability to begin work on June 1, 2009 and continue working through Sunday, September 6, 2009
- Ability to hold peers accountable, to be highly motivated, to inspire others, and to serve as a role model to the rest of the Orientation staff and entering students
- Perform all responsibilities in a punctual, reliable, and conscientious manner;
- Exercise mature judgment, good humor, patience, and flexibility;
- Work on assigned projects as needed over the spring and summer, communicating with the CCAL staff members.
- Teamwork, management, and leadership skills
- Presentation skills
- Event planning skills
- Conflict management, individual and group communication, and motivation
- Group facilitation skills
- Organizing information
- Coordinating programs
Email resume, cover letter, and 2 reference contacts to: JJ Boggs, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment period: Early-June through the end of first-year orientation; 37.5 hours per week.
Timeline: Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.