MediaWiki is the software that runs Wikipedia. It is one of many wiki tools and excels for building large sites that have a loose or changing relationship between pages. Pages are the basic unit in MediaWiki and can be linked together directly using a simple syntax, as well as grouped via categories. Like many wiki tools, MediaWiki does not have any hierarchy of pages or built-in navigation menus; users navigate the wiki by following links between pages, browsing categories, or searching.
- Go to the wiki or browse to it via the list of wikis.
- Log-in using the link in the top-right of the page.
- Click the Edit tab at the top-center of the page.
- To create a new page, simply make a link to it from an existing page.
Creating new wikis is not currently a self-service operation.
- Go to the wiki request form and log-in with your normal Middlebury username/password.
- In the description, please give the following information:
- Desired title
- Desired short-title that includes just letters, numbers, and "_" (underscores).
- Visibility: Will this wiki be visible to the world or just a particular group? If restricted, to which groups?
If you have problems with the submission form, please contact Joe Antonioli with your new-wiki request.
Wikipedia for Chemistry (Jeff Byers)