Outages & Alerts
Recent Outages & Alerts
December 2, 2010
Macintosh computers with OS version 10.6 ("snow leopard") -- personal computers cannot access MiddFiles via shortcuts at cifs://bigcat.middlebury.edu/middfiles -- please use afp://bigcat.middlebury.edu/middfiles
For more information, please click here.
October 14, 2010
As of 12:45am we are aware of problems affecting e-mail services that may be resulting in login issues and delays in sending/receiving email.
September 6, 2010
Another E-mail system upgrade?
No! The e-mail message many received this afternoon with the subject line "Your Middlebury.edu E-mail Account Notification!" was the latest "phishing" attack directed at our systems. We will NEVER ask you for your password, and NEVER will send passwords via email. Thank you for those who have reported this message - and thank you for not responding.
August 16, 2010
Exchange Server mailbox migrations are ongoing, with a large percentage of faculty, staff and student accounts completed for the Middlebury campus. The mailbox moves will continue until completed.
In addition to notes below, those who have successfully upgraded to Entourage version 13 may need to update server settings.
August 13, 2010 - 10pm
Exchange Server 2010 mailbox migration has begun:
- Mailboxes will be unavailable briefly at the time they are moved - if yours is unavailable, try again later
- WebMail, Outlook, Blackberry should not be affected
- Entourage - must be upgraded to version 13 to synchronize with Exchange server settings - http://go.middlebury.edu/ent_v13 for faculty, staff & students on campus only
- Other portable devices - ActiveSync (including Apple iOS and Android OS portable devices) - setting changes may be required - http://go.middlebury.edu/activesync_config
- IMAP/POP email settings - https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/POP,_IMAP,_SMTP_Clients
addendum August 17, 2010 - for any email program not set up as an Exchange (or ActiveSync) client -- settings for email server switch back from "junglecat.middlebury.edu" to "mail.middlebury.edu"
Stay tuned here for more updates
July 27, 2010
Exchange Server 2010 mailbox migration update:
1) If you have created folders in Entourage recently, check Outlook Web Access (aka. WebMail - http://go.middlebury.edu/mail) to see if they exist in your mailbox on the Exchange email server. Newly-created folders in some versions of Entourage may not be synchronizing properly with the Exchange server. This does not result in lost email, but may cause confusion. Folders may be dragged to the desktop, then dragged back into Entourage after the upgrade to version 13, if you find folders that are listed in Entourage that cannot be seen in Outlook Web Access.
2) Entourage 13 update from version 12.2.5 – several have reported errors running the standalone update to version 13 from 12.2.5. Running the full Office 2008 installer is the simple solution. (only if on campus & for computers covered by our Microsoft licensing - contact the helpdesk for clarification)
A Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 mailbox migration is tentatively planned for the weekend of August 14th, 2010. Plans are for an all-campus message to be sent with details of this service change, and likely impacts. A known issue requires that Microsoft Entourage customers be updated to Entourage version 13 before the mailbox migration is complete. As this is tentative, no action is currently required. The Entourage 13 upgrade steps available are recommended for computers owned by Middlebury College regardless of the status of the system upgrade. Videos of the upgrade process are also available here. Android and Apple iOS (iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone) devices that had email settings adjusted since May 20th may need reconfiguration again for their mail applications to work after the mailbox migration is complete. The mail server settings will revert to "mail.middlebury.edu" in place of "junglecat.middlebury.edu" at that time. For more information, click here.
May 20, 2010
E-Mail system - currently experiencing issues affecting some access to Middlebury e-mail. Please use WebMail and check back here for updates.
May 23, 2010
>> Update/Work-Around for Email issue
Making these changes to your settings will fix the issue until a more permanent solution can be found.
Entourage 2004 and 2008 v 12:
1. Launch Entourage.
2. From the Menu Bar, select Entourage > Account Settings...
3. In the Accounts dialog box, double click on Exchange account.
4. In the Edit Account dialog box, select the Account Settings tab
5. In the Exchange server box, change mail.middlebury.edu to junglecat.middlebury.edu
6. Click OK.
Close Entourage and relaunch the application. Your email may resync with the Exchange server. This may take a few minutes depending on the amount of email you have on the server.
If you have set up your Middlebury account as a Exchange ActiveSync account:
1. Touch Settings
2. Touch Mail, contacts, Calendars
3. Touch your Middlebury account
4. Touch Account Info
5. Touch Server and change mail.middlebury.edu to junglecat.middlebury.edu
6. Touch back to the Settings menu.
Your email will re-sync with the Exchange server. This may take a few minutes depending on the amount of email you have on the server.