Student Activities (SA) considers requestes to conduct fundraising initiatives for charitable projects and organizational use. The following policies apply to such fundraising:
Contact: Student Activities - x3103
Download a Copy of the Fundraising Form
Fundraising Polices and Regulations
- Permission for fundraising drives will be granted only to registered, active student organizations in good standing.
- All fundraising initiatives are to be coordinated through Student Activities (SA) or your cluster manager. Student organizations may not approach the College Advancement office directly.
- Student organizations wishing to fundraise must complete a fundraising form and submit it to SA or the cluster manager a minimum of two weeks prior to the fundraiser. Should your request be approved, you will be assigned a permit number.
- Space for the fundraiser must be reserved two weeks in advance through Events Management. Doing so will require your permit number. If the requested site involves Athletics or the MCFA, then departmental permission is also required.
- Initiatives involving food require permission from the Director of Dining Services.
- Any funds raised will be deposited into the organization's gift account per the SGA Finance Committee guidelines.
- Proceeds from initiatives may not be used as direct or indirect contributions to political campaigns.
- Student organizations wishing to conduct fundraising off-campus must familiarize themselves with and abide by all local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Venmo may not be used for fundraising.
- Donations or gifts may not be solicited from local merchants, alumni, or other members of the College community.
- Direct solicitation via campus mail is prohibited.
- Door-to-door solicitation in residence halls is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: residence halls, faculty and staff offices, and off-campus.
Raising Funds for Charity
- Organizations who are fundraising for non-Middlebury causes and charities must clearly advertise the following: "This fundraiser does not benefit Middlebury College. Donations are not tax-deductible." This should be clearly stated on all fundraising advertisement such as fliers, Box Office descriptions, websites, etc.
- Organizations wishing to make donations to charitable organizations may do so with the proceeds from fundraising. SGA allocated funds cannot be used for this purpose.
Possible Fundraising Ideas
Below are a few popular fundraising ideas. Student orgs are encouraged to brainstorm with org members, your advisor, your cluster manager, SA and other interested groups.
- Film viewing (has additional requirements)
- Silent auctions