How do I know what a banned substance is?

The list of banned substances if located at The list includes examples of certain banned classes of drugs such as stimulants, anabolic agents, diuretics and other urine manipulators, street drugs, peptide hormones and anti-estrogens and substances banned for specific sports.

Where will these records and letters be kept?

The letter and any supporting documentation should be submitted to:

Health Center/ Team Physician
Middlebury College 5110
Middlebury, VT 05753.

This information will be retained at the Health Center in the student’s medical record. Copies may be sent to the Dept. of Sports Medicine. In the event of an appeal, the information retained at the Health Center would be used to apply for a medical exception.

Is there any cost associated with providing this information?

Some student athletes will need to visit their home prescribing physician in order to have an appropriate letter sent. Some physician practices do charge patients for letters and completion of forms. The student athlete is responsible for payment of any related fees.

Will Middlebury College make sure the information that I have is complete?

No. It is up to the student athlete and their prescribing physician makes sure that the information meets the requirements listed in the information located on the main section of the web page. The instructions are straight-forward and Middlebury College Athletics, Sports Medicine and/or Health Services will not track or verify any information kept for this purpose. The sole responsibility for meeting this NCAA ruling rests with the student athlete and his/her physician. Middlebury College is responsible for informing student athletes of this requirement. Because Middlebury College health services does not prescribe or perform assessments for attention deficit disorder (ADD) or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), verification of the diagnosis and treatment plan should come from the treating physician in the letter they submit to the Health Center/ Team Physician.


In the past, the NCAA would allow the athletes testing positive for a banned substance to apply for a medical exception based on medical necessity. The NCAA did not require the information regarding the use of the medications to be submitted to the student athlete’s college medical file prior to drug testing. In 2009 this rule will change and require that all student athletes have a letter and supporting documentation from the prescribing physician regarding the diagnosis being treated, how the diagnosis was reached, medication dose information, and a statement that the student athlete needs the medication. Students will also have to ask their physician to provide a list of any alternative non-banned medications for the treatment of the list of diagnosis, and a statement that the physician and student athlete agrees that no appropriate alternative medication other than the banned substance is available to treat the condition.

Exceptions would be anabolic agents such as testosterone and/or peptide hormones (hGh) which require a medical exception prior to participation.

Where can I get more information?

Health Services
Centeno House
1st & 2nd Floor
Phone: 802.443.5135
Fax: 802.443.2066

Centeno House
3rd Floor
Phone: 802.443.5141
Fax: 802.443.3407

Sports Medicine
Field House
Phone: 802.443.2315
Fax:  802.443.2094