How and When to Apply
Junior Year / Year Prior to Application:
- Begin researching different programs and fields of study.
- Investigate funding sources. Explore competitive scholarships and fellowships.
- Research necessary standardized test and testing dates. Make a plan to prepare for test.
Summer Prior to Application:
- Sign up for required standardized tests and prep courses.
- Review application materials for programs.
- Identify several faculty members who will provide strong letters of recommendation.
- Take the necessary standardized tests.
- Request recommendation letters from faculty members
(use www.Interfolio.com to save letters of recommendation)
- Begin drafting statements of purpose and review with your faculty advisor.
- Identify financial aid options and assistantship/fellowship applications for which to apply.
- Assemble and send out completed application packets.
- Include official transcripts, statement of purpose, assistantship/fellowship applications and letters of recommendation.
- Contact schools about scheduling a personal visit and ensure they received all materials sent.
- Send thank you notes to individuals who assisted you with letters of recommendation or general information/guidance.
- File income tax returns and submit information with your financial aid application.
- Evaluate acceptances, rejections and funding sources with a faculty adviser.
- Send a deposit to program of choice.
- Let your recommendation writers and advisers know about your plans.