Good sleep hygiene may help promote restful sleep. Here are some tips that may be useful and may be a tremendous influence on a good night's sleep:
- Wake up at the same time each day.
- Discontinue caffeine intake at least 4-6 hours before bedtime and minimize total daily use. Caffeine is a stimulant and may disrupt sleep.
- Avoid nicotine, especially near bedtime and on night awakenings. Nicotine is a stimulant.
- Avoid the use of alcohol in the late evening. Alcohol can cause awakening later in the night.
- Avoid heavy meals too close to bedtime, as this may also interfere with sleep. Although, if hungry, a light snack may help induce sleep.
- Regular exercise in the late afternoon may deepen sleep. However, vigorous exercise within 3-4 hours of bedtime may actually interfere with sleep.
- Minimize noise, light and excessive temperatures during the sleep period.
- Move the alarm clock away from the bed if it is a source of distraction.
If you're experiencing difficulty with getting a good night's sleep you may want to record your activities prior to bedtime in this helpful sleep diary: General Sleep Measures Diary