Help for the "Stomach Bug"
For the first 24 hours, try to drink plenty of clear liquids. Drink slowly as much fluid as you can to fight dehydration and rest your system. Clear liquids include:
- Gingerale, Coca-Cola, or Pepsi (sip it "flat"- without the carbonation)
- Broth, bouillon or clear soups
- Clear juices such as cranberry or grape. (Drink apple juice only if you are not experiencing diarrhea.)
Gradually increase your diet as tolerated, to soft and bland foods:
- Soup (avoid heavy/creamy soups)
- Mashed potatoes
- Yogurt (avoid fruit flavors)
- Poached or scrambled eggs
- Sherbet, ice cream
- Cottage cheese
- Fruit juices
- Boiled or broiled meats
Most milk products should be avoided until nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are completely resolved. Avoid alcoholic beverages, heavy desserts, coffee, and fatty/greasy or spicy foods. If these foods are ingested too early, they may irritate the stomach and intestinal system, causing more diarrhea and discomfort. If nausea, vomiting or diarrhea continue or if abdominal discomfort persists, please call the Health Services at ext. 5135 to make an appointment.