Grant-seeking Resources at Middlebury College

The Office of Grants and Sponsored Programs (OGSP) is responsible for supporting all grant-related activities at Middlebury.

Sponsored Research and Faculty-initiated grants

The mission of Sponsored Research staff is to ensure that the College and its faculty are positioned to submit grant proposals to the federal government and other sponsors. We support an engaged and active faculty by providing advice and assistance at all stages of grant-seeking and grant administration. Our highest priorities are responding to faculty working on grant proposals with impending deadlines and dealing with time-sensitive issues related to grant administration and academic program development. We also oversee institutional endorsement procedures, monitor College compliance with sponsor requirements, and provide support to the academic administration with initiatives related to academic program enhancement, science planning, and compliance responsibilities. If you work for the College and have an idea for a proposal, please contact us.

Corporate & Foundation Relations - Institutional grants

The mission of Corporate and Foundation Relations staff is to obtain philanthropic support for College initiatives through the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of foundations, corporations, and federal agencies. To do this, we proactively seek resources to support priority programs defined by senior leadership, while being opportunistic and agile in supporting other initiatives and programs as time and resources permit.  If you have an idea for an institutional proposal, please contact us.

Grants Accounting Office - Financial administration for all grants

Academic Administration

Forms for internal funding (including FPDF and FRAF), leave program policies and guidelines, and information related to programs administered by the Dean for Faculty

  • Jim Ralph, Dean for Faculty Development & Research: x5320  (Davis Family Library, CTLR, Room 225C) -- all funding for faculty development including the leave program
  • Suzanne Gurland, Dean of Curriculum: x5909, x5323 (Old Chapel/ McCardell Bicentennial Hall)
  • Steve Trombulak, Director of the Sciences: x5439 (Hillcrest/ McCardell Bicentennial Hall)
  • Pieter Broucke, Director of the Arts: x5227 (Mahaney Center for the Arts)
  • Andi Lloyd, Vice President of Academic Affairs/Dean of the Faculty  x5908 (Old Chapel)
  • Lynn Dunton, Budget Coordinator for Academic Affairs:   x3085 (Old Chapel)

Institutional Review Board (IRB)

For all research that involves human subjects

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)

For all research that involves animals

Undergraduate Research Office (URO)

For students participating in research

Center For Teaching, Learning and Research

Many support services for students and faculty

Other resources


Getting Started - Foundations and Corporations

Are you a representative of a foundation or corporation interested in learning more about funding some of the exciting work we do here at Middlebury?  Please contact us!

Getting Started - Campus Constituents

Talk with your department chair and your dean about your ideas and how to carry them forward. If your project is institutional in nature, you should reach out to us and to Middlebury’s VPAA to strategize the best plan to garner external support. Determine what institutional support there may be for your project; often foundations want to see that the institution has made its own commitment to the project being proposed.

How can the Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations help me?
Our office maintains relationships with a number of foundations. In these cases, we can share our direct knowledge of the foundation and, frequently, we can provide information or insights not available through the foundations’ web sites. In general, we can assist you in identifying appropriate foundation, corporate, or governmental funding opportunities and strategizing an approach. We may be able to put you in touch with others at Middlebury and elsewhere who are involved in similar projects or related research. We can also keep your focus area in mind and contact you if we notice that a particular foundation initiative dovetails with your project. The decision to approach a foundation for support of an institutional initiative is one that must be made in consultation with the VPAA and our office. As you move forward, we can consult with you on writing the proposal, preparing the budget, and reporting on your results.

Who contacts the foundation?
We will work with you to determine how the project can best be presented and by whom. The initial contact might be a phone call, a letter, a proposal, or a meeting. Members of our staff may have personal contacts (program officer, colleague at another institution, faculty member, board member) who can advise on the most effective approach and give additional guidance regarding the funding process.

Do foundations allow indirect costs?
Some funders, especially government agencies, allow the inclusion of indirect costs in the budget, usually at a rate that has been negotiated between the College and the Department of Health and Human Services. When such costs are to be recovered, they are built into the proposal budget from the outset. Most foundations, however, prohibit use of their grants for indirect costs and those that do usually set their own rate.

What are my obligations if I receive funding?
The funder will spell out their expectations in an award letter that accompanies the grant. Typically, you will be required to provide narrative and financial reports periodically during the grant period. In the absence of specific directions, your report should track with the proposal you submitted to show that you accomplished the activities and goals described in the proposal.