COVID-19: Essential Information
How do I request research support? Do I need approval before initiating a research project?

For questions about research support, you may contact Jim Ralph, Dean of Faculty Development and Research (ext. 5320) or Sandra King, Budget Analyst for Academic Affairs (ext. 2007).

The Research Compliance Manager can answer your specific questions about research approval.

How do I get blanket IRB approval for the course I am teaching?

Courses in which the curriculum consists substantially of independent student research are subject to IRB approval. Faculty members seeking approval for a course must submit an application for the course.


We define original research as systematic investigation, including pilot projects and feasibility studies, designed to expand generalizable knowledge or understanding. Such activities include collecting and analyzing data from surveys, questionnaires, interviews, observation, manipulation, sampling, or experimentation.

Private information includes information that can be identified with an individual and that is obtained in a context in which an individual can reasonably expect that no observation or recording is taking place, or information that has been recorded for specific purposes and which the individual can reasonably expect will not be made public (e.g., medical records).

Interaction includes contact (including observational studies) or communication with the individual, manipulation of the subject, or manipulation of the subject's environment.