Thoreau Letter
The Julian W. Abernethy Collection of American Literature is the largest major gift to Middlebury College. The greatest strength of the original collection, received in 1923, lies in first edition books, pamphlets, and manuscripts related to the transcendental movement. In recent years, the collection has grown to include travel writing of Americans abroad and popular periodical literature of the 19th and early 20th century.

The William H. Prescott Collection

Frances Bacon

Originally assembled to support research on the Shakespeare-Bacon controversy, the Prescott Collection comprises the College Library's most valuable comprehensive collection of 16th and 17th century literature. The original library belonged to Dr. William H. Prescott who collaborated closely with Dr. Orville Owen, in working out a complicated system for decoding hidden meanings in the works of Shakespeare and other 17th century English authors that would prove that Sir Francis Bacon (1562-1626) was indeed the author of Shakespeare's plays. The fact that the theories of Owen, Prescott, and other "Baconists" have been universally debunked, does not diminish the passion and fervor with which these highly intelligent but misguided scholars pursued their fruitless quest, nor does it impact the extraordinary value of Prescott's library, equally as fascinating for its Baconian curiosities as for the rare 17th century literary masterpieces, acquired in that pursuit.

Iconologia4     

In 1992, the Prescott Collection was given to Special Collections by William H. Prescott, Class of 1967. Prescott is the grandson of William H, Prescott, the collector, and one of the dedicatees of his grandmother book Reminiscences of a Baconian.

Abernethy Collection of American Literature

Gift of Julian W. Abernethy, 1923

Julian W. Abernethy

 

The Julian W. Abernethy Library of American Literature was bequeathed to the College upon the death of Julian W. Abernethy, Class of 1876, College Trustee from 1901-1923. A distinguished teacher and scholar of American and British literature, Abernethy was an avid bibliophile and during his lifetime amassed an extraordinary collection of first editions, collected works, critical editions, and original manuscripts by the most notable men and women in American letters from the late 18th through the early 20th centuries.

Arguably the greatest strength of the original collection lies in books, pamphlets, and manuscripts related to the transcendentalist movement. Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Bronson Alcott, William Ellery Channing, George Ripley, and Elizabeth Peabody are well represented. It was Henry David Thoreau, however, who Abernethy collected with a passion, considering himself “a Thoreau collector with an unappeasable ambition.” Documenting his constant pursuit of new Thoreau material, the collection contains detailed correspondence between Abernethy and several antiquarian book and manuscript dealers. Among the most unique Thoreau items in Abernethy’s collection are books from his library and artifacts from the site of the cabin at Walden, pencils and letter openers crafted by Thoreau, and abolitionist scrapbooks maintained by his sister Helen. In keeping with Abernethy’s spirit, legendary Abernethy Curator and Middlebury College librarian Viola White purchased Thoreau’s personal copy of the first edition of Walden with the author’s annotations, in 1940.

In his will, Abernethy stipulated that his library should be kept independent of the College Library’s circulating collection, provided a fund for its maintenance, and perhaps most curiously stipulated that, should the College split into separate colleges for men and women—at the time a persistent consideration for administration, trustees, and alumni—his library would form the core of the newly independent women's college. Without question, a residual benefit of the College’s sustained commitment to co-education is the retention of the Abernethy Collection.

In 1927, after years of legal red tape in passing the Abernethy library on to the College, construction of east and west wing additions to the Starr Library began. Largely funded by Frank D. Abernethy, the east wing was designed to house the newly acquired Abernethy collection. In the early 1960s, the Abernethy Room was relocated, joining the College’s other Special Collections in the West wing. In 2008, the original Abernethy Room was restored to its former splendor as part of the renovation/construction of the Axinn Center at Starr Library, while the Abernethy Collection remained in Special Collections in the Davis Family Library.