Participation Grades: The following descriptions provide some thoughts on the grades which might be assigned to your participation. Please recognize that the grades you receive reflect my evaluation of your involvement in class.
- A = Exceptional. Does a great deal more than expected. Speaks out often and thoughtfully. Initiates discussions in class. Lets others speak. Acknowledges the value in the opinions of others in ways which validate those opinions. Attends and is prepared for all classes. Does all the reading. Answers questions when asked. Follows directions.
- B = Above average. Does more than expected. Speaks out thoughtfully. Occasionally initiates discussions in class. Lets others speak. Attends all classes and is prepared for all classes. Does all the reading. Answers questions when asked. Follows directions.
- C = Does everything that is expected. Attends all classes. Speaks out occasionally. Does all the reading. Answers questions when asked. Follows directions.
- D = A seriously flawed effort. Misses class. Never speaks out. Comes to class unprepared. Does not follow directions.
- F = An utter failure. Misses more than 10% of the classes. Belittles others. Drags the discussion down. Demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the reading.
REVIEW OF WRITING: 10%
To become better writers we must all read our own work critically. We will comment on each other's writing to achieve this goal. Points will be assigned based on the quality and appropriateness of your comments, not volume.
Recognition of growth as a writer and thinker is facilitated by documentation. The portfolio will provide evidence of your mastery of the content of the course and your ability to write and think clearly.
WRITING: 70% of total grade with the following point
- Assignments (Response Papers) 1-3: 10% each
- Response Paper 4: 15%
- Final Project: 25%
The grades I give will be based on the final drafts. These grades will be based on the holistic philosophy described below. Late papers will be graded down one full grade (e.g., from B+ to C+) for each day that the paper is late.