Information session in March TBA.
Rhodes Scholarship selection committees will be seeking young women and men of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service. The Rhodes Scholarships support students who demonstrate a strong propensity to emerge as 'leaders for the world’s future'.
Rhodes Scholars are chosen not only for their outstanding scholarly achievements, but for their character, commitment to others and to the common good, and for their potential for leadership in whatever domains their careers may lead. The Rhodes Scholarships are the oldest and most celebrated international fellowship awards in the world.
Supports two years of study at Oxford University. Renewable for a third year for those who initially embark on a doctoral route at the time of admission and whose progress is deemed satisfactory.
32 Rhodes Scholars (US); 80+ scholars from selected countries.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Open to all offerings of Oxford University
- US Citizen (Other citizens, see http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-countries for eligibility information)
- Unmarried, between 18 and 24 years of age
- Completed B.A. before tenure at Oxford begins.
- Rhodes Scholars are judged on:
1. literary and scholastic attainments
2. fondness for and success in sports
3. truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and
protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness,
4. moral force of character and instincts to lead
- No stated minimum GPA for the Rhodes; however, GPA must be high enough to ensure admission at Oxford. This is typically at least 3.7 and often higher.
Candidates are nominated by committees in each of the 50 states. Election to a Rhodes Scholarship does not guarantee entrance to Oxford, as the University makes its own admissions decisions.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINES
The Rhodes Trust requires nomination by Middlebury College in order for you to apply.
1. Apply for nomination by April 15, 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Note: letters of recommendation are NOT included in this stage of application.
The British Scholarships committee will interview qualified applicants in late April and select nominees.
2. If you are selected as a Rhodes nominee, it is at this point that you would secure your letters of recommendation. The final application deadline is early October.