When an employee notifies their supervisor that they plan to leave their employment at the College, the supervisor should complete the following tasks:
- Share the employee resignation checklist with the employee and review its contents.
- Complete the Resignation Form to notify Human Resources that the employee plans to leave.
- Collect property (keys, ID card, equipment, p-cards, etc.)
- Ensure that employee finalizes their timesheet prior to departure
- Ensure that employee returns uniforms prior to departure
- Remind employee to set up automatic responses (email, voicemail)
- Remove employee from distribution lists
- End employee's access to shared folders
- Remind employee of reference process and share form with them.
- If you plan to rehire for this position, you will need to enter a new requisition in PeopleAdmin. Use the instructions here to get started.
Employees who are leaving the College need to complete a number of steps prior to their last day of employment. The first thing to do once you've made the decision to leave is to submit a letter of resignation:
- This should be addressed to your supervisor and cc'd to HR.
- It should specify your last date of work, which is the last day you will be physically present at work. (The last day can't be a CTO day or a holiday).
- Email and hard copy versions are both acceptable.
Note: No resignation letter is needed if you are finishing up a term position that was scheduled to end on a specific date or if you were working in a temporary position.
Prior to your last day:
- If you participate in the College’s retirement plan (all benefits eligible staff and faculty participate), call TIAA-Cref at 1-800-842-2776 to discuss your options. Please note this is for your information - no immediate action will be required.
- If you have health or dental insurance, please note that no immediate action is needed. You will receive written information about the option to continue your coverage under COBRA as your separation date draws closer. You have 60 days after your coverage ends to make a decision. CBA Blue administers our COBRA plans.
- Your final paycheck will be generated on the next regular pay date. Be sure to complete your final timesheet as usual.
- If you have unused CTO hours, they will be paid out automatically in the final check.
- In order to receive information from the College (like next year’s W-2 or the COBRA information), we need your current mailing address. Please use these instructions to check your address in BannerWeb and update it if necessary.
- Your email account will stay active for 6 months after your departure. Please discuss this with your supervisor. It may be appropriate to create an automatic reply to redirect inquiries to another person within your department. Call the Helpdesk for information about automatic replies.
- Your supervisor will also need to make a plan regarding your voicemail and telephone extension. Contact Telephone Services for support.
- Make sure any personal electronic files are removed from your directories.
- Ensure that work-related electronic files are accessible to your co-workers. Contact the Helpdesk for support if needed.
- You may wish to discuss a future employment reference with your supervisor or ask for a letter of reference. Keep in mind that you need to sign the reference authorization form on the HR web site if you want your supervisor to provide information about your work performance to a prospective employer, either verbally or in writing.
- Return all College property, including keys, College ID, Procurement Card, College driver’s license, uniforms, and laptop or other equipment.
If you have other questions, please feel free to contact Human Resources!