Campus Security Authorities

The information below is for the sole use of those person designated as Campus Security Authorities (CSA) at and for Middlebury College as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistic Act, (Clery Act) as part of the Higher Education act of 1965. The following information is drawn from The Handbook for Campus  Safety and Security  Reporting, U.S Department of Education.

Who is a Campus Security Authority?

What is a CSA responsible for?

What crimes have to be reported?

Location explained

CSA Report Forms


Resources and Additional Information Available


Who is a Campus Security Authority?

›Someone who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to student housing, student discipline, athletics, and campus judicial proceedings
›Someone who is designated by the institution as someone to whom crime reports can be made.
›Public Safety staff members
›Dean of the College, Dean of Students, Commons Heads, Commons Deans, Commons Coordinator, CRAs, CAs, or RAs.
›Other Deans or staff who oversee residential life or student activities (e.g., housing, club sports, student groups)
›Director of Athletics, coaches, club sports coaches
›Faculty advisor to a student group
›Other advisors to student groups

What is a CSA responsible for?

›A crime is reported when it is brought to the attention of a CSA, and the report is made in good faith.  The CSA must report the crime to Public Safety by filling out the Campus Security Authority crime report form. 

›Fill out the information on the form and send it in at the time you receive the information
›You need to complete the form any time you receive information from a victim, witness or third party (friend, relative, etc.) even if you think it was already reported
›You are not responsible for investigating the incident or determining whether a crime took place. You just have to report it.
›The Department of Public Safety will determine if a timely notice to the community is required or necessary.
›Public Safety will also contact the CSAs annually for crime reports, and if you will need to provide information on these reports or provide a statement that you did not receive any reports.
›In a report, you should disclose the name of the person making the report (if known).  
›When in doubt, contact Lisa Burchard or a member of the Public Safety staff for clarification

What Crimes have to be reported?

  • Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter
  • Negligent Manslaughter
  • Sex Offense Forcible
  • Sex Offense Non Forcible
  • Robbery
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Burglary
  • Motor Vehicle Theft
  • Arson
  • Liquor Law Violation
  • Drug Law Violation
  • Weapon Law Violation
  • Hate Crimes - any of the serious crimes above, and larceny, vandalism, intimidation (threats of injury/violence), or simple assault motivated by bias.

Definitions of these crimes can be found by clicking here, or in the Handbook for Campus Safety and Security Reporting.


Location explained

 Use the CSA report for crimes reported to have occurred:

  • On campus
  • On public property within or immediately adjacent to the campus
    • Hillcrest or College Street
  • In or on non-campus buildings or property that your institution owns or controls.
    • 51 Main Street
››Noncampus - definition
  • ›Any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution;›
  • Any building or property owned or controlled by an institution that is used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes, is frequently used by students, and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution
CSA Crime Report Forms


  • ›A resident assistant who has been identified as a CSA is told by a fellow student that she has been raped and is seeking emotional and medical support.
›CSA reports using the form regardless of whether the student pursues it with the JAO or police.


  • A student mentions to her boyfriend that a number of rooms on her dorm floor were broken into during the previous night’s football game. Later that day, her boyfriend tells the athletics director what he heard. The AD asks which dorm it was and what, if anything else, the boyfriend knows about the incident.

The AD should document the information and forward it to the school’s campus security department per the school’s crime reporting policy.


  • ›Ms. Jones, director of Student Housing at your school, gets a call from the director of a counseling center in town. The caller wants to let the director know that four students from the school sought assistance at the center and told the center’s counselors that they had been sexually assaulted on Middlebury College campus and were seeking emotional support. They did not want police investigations.
›These are third party reports and Ms. Jones, having no reason to believe that they were not made in good faith, should document all of the information she was given and forward the reports to the Lisa Burchard


Resources and Additional Information Available



Get Involved!



During the school year, Middlebury students can attend MCOF meetings every Sunday. To join the club’s email list and stay updated about garden events, email

Student and community volunteers are welcome anytime at the garden to care for the site and help with the harvest. Feel free to contact us if you interested in getting involved at or contact the student directors of the garden:

Katie Michels '15:

Ari Lattanzi '13:

Spring and Fall semester employment opportunities:

Join the Farm CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

In a CSA, community members pledge to support a farm in return for a share of the harvest.  Sign up to help out for four hours a week, solo or with a partner, and at the end of your shift handpick a bag of seasonal produce to take home with you. One of the past summer farm interns will be available to explain the day’s goals for the garden.

2011 Volunteer Hours

Monday – Thursday, 3:00 – 5:00 pm

No need to RSVP, just come on down!

Shop at the MCOF farmstand

Want to cook a meal this weekend and feature local produce? Need a snack? Want some flowers to decorate your dorm room? Look out for the MCOF farmstand every Friday in September and October from 4-6pm in front of The Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest


Middlebury College Farm

The Middlebury College Farm and Food Project provides students, staff, faculty, and community members the opportunity to participate in and learn about agriculture.

Our mission is to promote awareness of issues surrounding food production by:

  • Providing instruction and hands-on learning at the farm
  • Facilitating events, speakers, farm visits, and screenings related to food issues

Staff from Environmental Affairs oversee the farm in collaboration with the Middlebury College Organic Farm (MCOF) student organization. There are community and student opportunities to volunteer and intern at the farm.


The farm is located on a knoll in the field behind Bicentennial Hall. To get there, walk or drive down the hill from the college west on College Street (Rte. 125) for a half-mile. Take a right at the wooden sign that reads "Middlebury College Organic farm." If you are driving, you can leave your car at the sign and walk the short dirt road to the farm.

Our Crew

Jay Leshinsky, Farm Educator [Jay Leshinsky]
Jay has a master's degree in Education and Human Development from the University of Maryland. While there, he began an organic market garden influenced by his visits to the Rodale Organic Research Center and Walnut Acres organic farms in nearby Pennsylvania. After moving to Vermont in 1975, Jay continued to expand the market garden business and combine it with his work for private and public educational programs in Vermont. He collaborated with foundations and schools to develop programs for school gardens, agriculture centered curriculum, and staff training to more effectively use local food products in Head Start nutrition programs. Jay has advised the Farm since it's beginning in 2003.

Sophie Esser Calvi ' 03, Global Food Studies Coordinator
Sophie holds a master's degree in Food Culture and Communications from the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Italy and a BA in International Studies from Middlebury College. She is thrilled to be back at Middlebury, ten years after starting a children's garden at the college farm. She then ventured out into the wider world of food and wine, where she has worked for wineries and various garden, farm and food organizations. She directs the FoodWorks program and works closely with students, faculty, staff, as well as the broader food community, on numerous food initiatives. 

Volunteers and  Interns

Summer Interns

The farm is dependent on student volunteers and interns for all activities, from tomato starts to fall harvest. Although this work is coordinated by two student interns, volunteers do the bulk of the labor. Visit the "Get involved" page for more information on volunteering and applying for the coordinator positions. We love visitors!  Come by any time to help out.

From mid-May to September the farm is maintained by four summer farm interns who see to the production and sale of food crops as well as participating in weekly farm visits.  This popular internship program is funded by the previous year's crop sales and generous alumni gifts.