The Middlebury Institute's Office of Student Services provides several wellness opportunities on or near campus.
Weekly Yoga Classes
Weekly Drop-In Meditation Classes
Schedule and details will be posted by the end of August.
Frequently Asked Questions
MIIS students with a valid student ID can pick up a card for three free classes from Student Services. It can be used at both Seaside Yoga studios:
- 1360 Fremont Blvd. in Seaside
- 300 Grand Ave. in Pacific Grove
All three classes must be taken within 45 days of validating the card, and students must present the card to the studio on the day of their first class.
Additionally, Seaside Yoga Sanctuary offers the following discounted rates for MIIS students who present their student IDs:
- $10/class for drop-in yoga classes
- $90/month for an unlimited monthly pass
CarmelBarre, located at 465 Pacific Street, has three opportunities for students during the spring 2018 semester.
- Students can participate for free in a barre class offered Wednesdays at 5 p.m., beginning January 31. Seven spaces are reserved in this class for students, and a waiting list allows additional students to sign up and be notified should a space open. See details below for how to register and sign up in advance, which is required.
- Every student can pick up one three-class pack of barre classes per semester from the Office of Student Services. These cards, available starting Monday, January 29, will enable students to take three free classes of their choosing at the CarmelBarre Monterey studio. The student picking up the card will have classes redeemed on his or her CarmelBarre account; i.e., classes may only be redeemed by the student who picks up the card. See details on account creation below.
- CarmelBarre offers students a drop-in class price of $12/class and 15 percent off other packages.
- Advanced sign-up is required. Reservations are on a first-come, first served basis.
- You may cancel registration for a class up to two hours prior to the start time of the class. If you do not cancel within two hours and do not show up, your class will be deducted from any class credit you have on your CarmelBarre account.
- Please bring a mat, grip socks, and water (towel optional). Students who do not have socks will not be allowed in class.
- Please also keep strong scents to a minimum—no heavy perfumes or lotions.
- You must sign a Liability Release at the studio before you can participate in the class. If you pick up a three-class card, you will sign this at Student Services; otherwise, please ask the CarmelBarre instructor for one on-site the first time you arrive at class.
Creating a CarmelBarre account:
You must sign up through CarmelBarre to attend the Wednesday class or redeem your three free classes. The instructions are listed below.
- Go to https://carmelbarre.com/registration/ and complete the registration form
For redemption of a three-class card:
- Complete the two steps above to create your CarmelBarre account.
- Bring your student ID to the Office of Student Services to pick up a three-class card.
- CarmelBarre will receive verification that you have received these classes and add three classes to your account. You must have already created your CarmelBarre account via the two steps above.
- You may sign up for any CarmelBarre class offered, up to three classes, to redeem your free classes. The cancellation policy listed above still applies; if you late-cancel (less than two hours prior to the start of class), one of your free classes will be redeemed.
To attend the Wednesday evening class (5 p.m., CarmelBarre Monterey):
- Complete the step above to create your CarmelBarre account.
- If you did NOT also pick up a three-class pack and you only want to take the Wednesday class, email firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know that you are a Institute student who wants to take the Wednesday class. You only need to do this one time.
- You will receive an email receipt that you "purchased" a MIIS student package.
- Sign up ahead of time and cancel according to CarmelBarre's cancellation policy to allow other students the space. Click here for the class sign-up link.
- If you are on the waitlist, you can show up to the studio. If the class is not at capacity, they are happy to let additional students in.
Student Services has partnered with the Monterey Bay Meditation Studio (MBMS) to offer three free meditation sessions for Institute students, available at Student Services.
For more information about MBMS and mindfulness activities at the Institute, see our mindfulness page.