The Middlebury Institute's Office of Student Services provides several wellness opportunities on or near campus.
Free Weekly Exercise
On-campus Yoga: Sundays, 10:00am in the McGowan Wellness Space, MG215. Check the events calendar for any schedule updates. Starting August 26.
Join Rebecca Henriksen for a Vinyasa Yoga Flow class. The class offers support for varying levels of yoga experience and tends to be a more energetic and athletic yoga flow class.
On-campus Kettlebell Flow Class: Mondays, 6:00pm in the McGowan Wellness Space, MG215. Check the events calendar for any schedule updates. Starting August 27.
Each class will begin with movements and positions to relax tension in your body, open up your muscles, and find your breath. Once you're ready, you'll learn to harness that tension and breath through mindful movements with kettlebells (think cannonballs with handles,) including swings, cleans, snatches, presses, the Turkish Get-Up, and more. You'll leave every session with greater strength and mobility, more vibrant energy, and deeper peace of mind. Instructor Gabe Sanders is certified SFG level 1 and is a second year MPA student.
On-campus Zumba: Mondays, 12:15pm in the McGowan Wellness Space, MG215. Check the events calendar for any schedule updates. Starting September 10.
Zumba® Dance fitness classes are fun, energetic and make you feel amazing! Appropriate for everybody and every body, and all fitness levels, Zumba® Fitness classes mix low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style dance fitness party. We use Latin and World rhythms with cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility to boot your energy and happiness levels.
Off-campus Barre: Thursdays, 5:45pm Barre class at CarmelBarre - 465 Pacific Street, across from Casa Fuente. Five spaces are reserved for MIIS students. See the frequently asked question about Barre below.
Tone, sculpt and strengthen your entire body with focused isometric movements and light weights. A MIIS-approved workout for the past years!
Off-campus Yoga: Fridays, 10:30am, starting September 7, yoga class at Om Yoga Studios - 631 Cass Street, five minute walk from campus. Only open to MIIS students. MIIS student ID required for entry.
This is an all levels yoga flow class based on attention, integrity, and lightheartedness. Beginners welcome! This class is customized and personalized for MIIS students, which means the type and speed of yoga may alter from week-to-week.
Independent Off-Campus Opportunities
The Institute has partnered with CarmelBarre, Om Yoga Studios, and Monterey Bay Meditation Studio to offer a variety of off-campus fitness and wellness options. Please review the frequently asked questions below for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
CarmelBarre, located at 465 Pacific Street, has three opportunities for students during the fall 2018 semester.
- Students can participate for free in a barre class offered Thursdays at 6pm, beginning August 30 (no class on November 22; last class of the semester is December 13). Five spaces are reserved in this class for students, and a waiting list allows additional students to sign up and be notified should a space open. See details below for how to register and sign up in advance, which is required.
- Every student can pick up one three-class pass per semester from the Office of Student Services. These cards, available starting Monday, August 20, will enable students to take three free classes of their choosing at the CarmelBarre Monterey studio. The student picking up the card will have classes redeemed on his or her CarmelBarre account; i.e., classes may only be redeemed by the student who picks up the card. See details on account creation below.
- CarmelBarre offers students a drop-in class price of $12/class and 15% off other packages.
- Advanced sign-up is required. Reservations are on a first-come, first served basis.
- You may cancel registration for a class up to two hours prior to the start time of the class. If you do not cancel within two hours and do not show up, your class will be deducted from any class credit you have on your CarmelBarre account.
- Please bring a mat, grip socks, and water (towel optional). Students who do not have socks will not be allowed in class.
- Please also keep strong scents to a minimum—no heavy perfumes or lotions.
- You must sign a Liability Release at the studio before you can participate in the class. If you pick up a three-class card, you will sign this at Student Services; otherwise, please ask the CarmelBarre instructor for one on-site the first time you arrive at class.
Creating a CarmelBarre account:
You must sign up through CarmelBarre to attend the Wednesday class or redeem your three free classes. The instructions are listed below.
- Go to https://carmelbarre.com/registration/ and complete the registration form
Redeeming a three-class card:
- Complete the step above to create your CarmelBarre account.
- Bring your student ID to the Office of Student Services to pick up a three-class card.
- CarmelBarre will add three classes to your account. You must have already created your CarmelBarre account via the step above.
- You may sign up for any CarmelBarre class offered, up to three classes, to redeem your free classes. The cancellation policy listed above still applies; if you late-cancel (less than two hours prior to the start of class), one of your free classes will be redeemed.
To attend the Thursday evening class (6pm, CarmelBarre Monterey):
- Complete the step above to create your CarmelBarre account.
- If you did NOT also pick up a three-class pack and you only want to take the Thursday class, email email@example.com and let them know that you are a Institute student who wants to take the Thursday class. You only need to do this one time.
- You will receive an email receipt that you "purchased" a MIIS student package.
- Sign up ahead of time and cancel according to CarmelBarre's cancellation policy to allow other students the space. Click here for the class sign-up link.
- If you are on the waitlist, you can show up to the studio. If the class is not at capacity, they are happy to let additional students in.
There are three options for MIIS Students to take classes at Om Studios:
- Weekly Friday Yoga class (beginning September 7) at 10:30am at Om studios - only open to MIIS students
- MIIS students with a valid student ID can pick up a card for three free classes from Student Services starting August 20. It can be used at Om Yoga Studios: 631 B Cass St, Monterey, CA. Students must present the 3-class card and their Student ID to the studio on the day of their first class. The card expires 30 days from the first class. Classes may only be redeemed by the student who picks up the card.
- Additionally, Om Yoga offers the discounted membership rates for MIIS students who present their student IDs.
Learn more about Om Yoga Studios and check out their weekly schedule here.
Student Services has partnered with the Monterey Bay Meditation Studio (MBMS) to offer three free meditation sessions at their Pacific Grove studio location for Institute students. You can pick up the pass at Student Services like the Barre and Yoga passes listed above.
For more information about MBMS and mindfulness at the Institute, see our mindfulness page.