As members of the Middlebury College community and the larger Vermont community, we all must be vigilant and persistent in protecting our own health and that of others, on campus and in the greater community.
I affirm that I have reviewed, am familiar with, and will comply with the Spring 2021 Campus Guide, the COVID-19 Health and Safety Policy, the campus status requirements as reflected on the campus status web page, the College’s other health and safety directives, and the state of Vermont COVID-19 health and safety requirements (including but not limited to the requirements applicable to multihousehold gatherings), as applicable to me as a student enrolled to study remotely or on leave, in Vermont.
I understand that violations of the public health and safety components in this pledge; College policies, including the COVID-19 Health and Safety Policy; the campus status web page; directives from College officials; and state of Vermont requirements (including but not limited to requirements applicable to multihousehold gatherings) as applicable to me may result in sanctions as outlined in the College’s Handbook policies and processes.
I pledge to take responsibility for my own health and the protection of others’, and to keep the Middlebury community safe from the spread of COVID-19 and other infections as instructed by the College, by committing to health measures including the following:
Travel to Vermont/Quarantine
I will abide by the state of Vermont’s most current travel and quarantine requirements for COVID-19, which are as follows:
- If I plan to travel directly to Vermont in a personal vehicle, I will comply with one of the following two options: a. complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in my home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions. I will continue to quarantine from when I first receive my test result until I travel to Vermont; or b. complete the 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine in my off-campus residence or other single location in Vermont followed by a negative PCR test. However, if I am living with a student who is learning on campus, I will quarantine at home for 14 days or I will complete a 7-day home quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in my home state prior to traveling to our off-campus residence.
- If I travel to Vermont by public transportation (plane, train, bus) or from farther than a direct car ride, I will quarantine in my off-campus residence or other single location in Vermont. I will complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in my off-campus residence or other single location in Vermont. I will stay in my quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site. However, if I am living with a student who is learning on campus, I will also quarantine at home for 14 days or I will complete a 7-day home quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in my home state prior to traveling to our off-campus residence.
- I will check the state of Vermont’s requirements to ensure that I comply with all travel and quarantine requirements prior to and after my return to Vermont.
- I will complete daily health screenings for COVID-19 symptoms as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (also referred to as daily health checks) during my quarantine period. I may use Sara Alert to help me track my symptoms and complete the daily health screenings.
- I will not come to Vermont if I have any COVID-19 symptoms as defined by the CDC, if I have been in close contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19, or if I have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days. The CDC defines “close contact” in these circumstances as “someone who was within six feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period starting from two days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic patients, two days prior to test specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.” If any of these circumstances apply, I will contact my personal healthcare provider for further guidance.
- I will travel to my off-campus residence in Vermont as directly as possible.
- While traveling to Vermont, I will follow all health and safety precautions, including limiting stops to only those that are necessary, physical distancing from others whenever possible, always wearing a face covering, and using frequent and proper hand hygiene (i.e., washing hands with soap and warm water or using hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available).
After Arriving in Vermont
Testing, Contact Tracing, Daily Health Screening, and Flu Vaccine
- I will comply with all COVID-19 testing protocols as directed by the College and/or local, state, or federal officials.
- I consent to having all COVID-19 test results shared with the Parton Center for Health and Wellness (CHW), the Vermont Department of Health, the Broad Institute, and other health-related agencies, upon request.
- I will comply with all confidential contact tracing protocols as directed by the College, the Vermont Department of Health, or other local, state, or federal officials, including supplying the names and contact information of other individuals with whom I have been in recent close contact, to the contact tracer.
- I will maintain a contact journal that lists the names of other people with whom I have been in close contact each day. “Close contact” in these circumstances is defined as contact with any person closer than six feet for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period or direct physical contact with someone. A journal is not required for situations where there is already a record of individuals at a certain location (e.g., scheduled events where the list of participants is ordinarily recorded). I agree to share this information with the contact tracer to assist with the confidential contact tracing process.
- I will complete daily health checks (also referred to as daily health screenings), including temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks, prior to leaving my residence in the morning.
- I will have a thermometer for my personal daily health screenings.
- I will receive the 2020 flu vaccine when it becomes available through my personal healthcare provider (unless I have a documented religious or medical exemption).
Quarantine and Isolation
- If I experience any symptoms of COVID-19, or if I believe that I have been in close contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19, or if I have tested positive for COVID-19, I will quarantine in my off-campus residence room and will not leave my room until I receive further guidance from my healthcare provider or other appropriate health official. I understand that if I am enrolled to study remotely, I will also have access to Middlebury’s 24/7 telehealth resources. I will comply with all isolation, quarantine, and other procedures as directed by the College, the state of Vermont, or other officials, including requests to quarantine in my room to avoid exposing others, to undergo COVID-19 testing, contact tracing, symptom monitoring, and/or temporary transfer to isolation housing and refraining from physical contact with others except to receive medical care. If I reside with a student who is enrolled to study on campus, I will also notify CHW for further guidance in order to protect the health and safety of the campus community.
- While in quarantine, I will stay in my bedroom and will not leave that room for any reason except to use the bathroom or in case of a health emergency. I will have no visitors, and will wear a mask at all times except when sleeping, personal grooming, or eating. I will adhere to strict physical distancing requirements around others. I understand that I must arrange for meal delivery and ongoing health care.
Physical Distancing, Gathering Limits, and Visitors
- I will maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from others, to the greatest extent possible, as directed by the College and the state of Vermont. I agree that, even while maintaining physical distance, I will not gather with others in groups that exceed gathering-size restrictions and will follow all other restrictions applicable to gatherings.
- I will comply with the multihousehold gathering restrictions imposed by the state of Vermont. I will also comply with all gathering restrictions applicable to students living in off-campus residences as directed by the College in the COVID-19 Health and Safety Policy, the campus status web page, or in other College communications.
- I will frequently and thoroughly maintain hygiene by regular handwashing with soap and warm water or using hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available. I will not share utensils, glasses, pens or pencils, laptops, keyboards, microphones, toothbrushes, or other similar personal products, and I will frequently sanitize or disinfect my high-touch surfaces, such as phone screens, keyboards, tables, desks, etc.
- I will responsibly dispose of any sanitizing or disinfecting wipes and related materials.
- I will cover my mouth and nose with tissues or use the inside of my elbow when I cough or sneeze. I will throw all tissues in the trash and immediately wash my hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer.
- I will keep my residential space clean and will clean shared spaces and surfaces when I begin to use them (e.g., bathrooms, kitchen, and other common areas in my off-campus residence).
I will wear a face covering as required by Middlebury policies.
My face covering will fit securely and snugly against the sides of my face, extend from below my chin to above my nose, and cover my nose and mouth completely.
I agree to maintain and regularly clean a minimum of two reusable face coverings, or I will bring a semester’s supply of single-day-use masks for my use. If I use single-day-use masks, I will dispose of them responsibly.
Unless otherwise instructed on the Campus Status webpage, exceptions to the face covering requirement are as follows:
- When I am alone in a private space.
- When I am in my own off-campus residence after all of my roommate(s)/housemate(s) have either tested negative for COVID-19 within the previous seven days or are not exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 and have met the prearrival quarantine requirements described above.
- When I am in my own residence bathroom performing personal grooming.
- When I am eating in an appropriately physically distanced location from others.
- When I am exercising alone outdoors.
Other Safety Requirements/Community Standards
- I will complete all required health and safety trainings, if requested by the College.
- If I need to travel outside the state of Vermont, I will follow the same prearrival quarantine requirements and other health safety protocols listed above. I will also follow all other state of Vermont travel guidelines and health and safety requirements.
- I will participate swiftly and responsibly in all evacuation and lockdown procedures as directed by the College or other local, state, or federal officials.
- I will provide my Vermont off-campus address to the College.
- I will not be on the Middlebury campus at any time, including sections of the TAM (Trail around Middlebury) that are on campus property including the cross-country trail, class of ’97 trail, and the Knoll. I may use the golf course, Snow Bowl, and Rikert Nordic Center as long as they remain open to the public.
- I will be respectful and attentive to anyone who needs help or a reminder about community expectations.
- I will avoid bias-based discrimination. I understand and acknowledge that the current COVID-19 outbreak has provoked bias and discriminatory behaviors against people of certain racial and ethnic backgrounds. We know that the virus does not differentiate with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic status, or physical ability. During this time of great uncertainty based on the COVID-19 pandemic, I will treat my peers, faculty, and staff with the respect every human being deserves and not promote, participate in, or allow my own bias to impede the access and opportunity of others in my community. (See the CDC’s statement on Reducing Stigma).
- I will comply with all state of Vermont COVID-19-related health and safety guidelines. In cases where the College’s requirements are more strict than the state of Vermont’s requirements, the College’s rules will apply.
Access to Campus-Based Services
- I acknowledge that by choosing not to live and learn on campus, I am not allowed on campus and do not have access to campus services, including dining services, in-person healthcare services, etc.
- In addition to creating my own quarantine, isolation, and evacuation plans, I am also responsible for creating and utilizing a personal healthcare plan, which includes establishing care with a primary care provider and/or accessing medical and mental health care through MiddTeleHealth (which is accessible only to students who are enrolled). Should a MiddTeleHealth provider direct me to seek in-person or community-based services in Vermont, I am responsible for accessing that care and following all medical advice related to COVID-19. Students living in Vermont who are on leave are not eligible for MiddTeleHealth.