With funding approved, ITS is currently worked with a vendor to replace the existing telephone systems at Middlebury, Monterey, and Washington, D.C. with an integrated Cisco Voice over IP Unified Communications system. Unified Communications comprises an array of telephony and collaboration services, such as voice mail to email, instant messaging, presence information, video calls, as well as PC/Macintosh and smartphone integration.
Why did we do this?
Middlebury's PBX was 20 years old and manufacturer support had ended. There were several single points of failure, spare parts were sometimes unavailable, and it lacked the functionality of modern VoIP systems.
Te new system provides inter-campus dialing between Middlebury, Monterey, and Middlebury office in Washington, D.C. along with Enhanced 911 compliance and improved disaster recovery.
Middlebury network switches support ended in 2017, giving us the opportunity to replace with switches that have the extended power to sustain VoIP.
Jabber Softphone Client
- Place voice and video calls from your computer (wired or wireless, on or off campus)
- Integrates with Outlook
- Indicate presence status
- Communicate with instant messaging
- Share your desktop one-to-one
- Headsets provided for users who do not need a desk phone
- Jabber Smartphone App
- Install the Cisco Jabber application on your Android, iPhone, and/or iPad and communicate using your mobile device.
- Use Wireless Network
- Receive calls on smartphone to office extension over our wireless network.
- Phone Line Mobility
- Schedule your extension to ring in multiple locations sequentially or all at once.
Jabber Software Download
- Mobile Clients
- Can download and install the Cisco Jabber application through the Apple or Google Play application stores.
- Monterey campus Clients
- Can download and install the E911 and Cisco Jabber application from their S: drive, in \Software\Public\Jabber.
- Middlebury campus Windows Clients
- Can request the install via KACE (http://go/selfservice).
- Middlebury campus Mac Clients
- Can request the install via Casper (http://go/selfservice).
What’s the Same?
Placing and receiving calls did not change.
You can still receive voicemail messages through Outlook. See our Unity Voicemail documentation.
ITS Project Team
Peggy Fischel, Mike Conlogue, Billy Sneed, Ginnie Bukowski, Mack Pauly
If you have questions, concerns, or comments, please email us.