Being a member of the Middlebury College community means that each of us must be vigilant and persistent in protecting our own health and each other, on campus and in the greater community.
I pledge to take responsibility for my own health, the protection of others, and to help keep the Middlebury community safe from the spread of COVID-19 and other infections as identified and instructed by the College.
I affirm that I have reviewed, am familiar with, and will comply with the State of Vermont’s Mandatory Guidance for College and University Campus Learning and the College’s health policies as set forth in the Return to Campus Guide, and related conduct policies.
I understand that violations of the public health and safety components in this pledge, College policies, including the COVID-19-Related Conduct Policy, Return to Campus Guide, and the State of Vermont’s Mandatory Guidance for College and University Campus Learning, and directives from College or other local, state or federal officials may result in my immediate removal from campus for the duration of the COVID-19 crisis in addition to any sanctions assigned through the College’s conduct policies and processes.
I pledge to take the necessary steps to protect myself and others, including the following:
- I will self-quarantine at home for 14 days before traveling to campus. If I am unable to complete a 14-day home quarantine, I will complete a quarantine in my campus dorm room or off-campus residence room (as applicable) until I receive a second negative COVID-19 test result following the day-seven test.
- Using an app designated by the College, I will complete daily health screenings (also referred to daily health checks) during the 14-day pre-arrival quarantine, as well as a pre-arrival questionnaire, just prior to departing for campus. If I need to complete the pre-arrival quarantine in my campus dorm room or off-campus residence room, I will complete the daily health screenings during that quarantine time period (see the previous paragraph, above).
- I will not come to campus if I have any COVID-19 symptoms as defined by the CDC, if I have been in close contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19, or if I have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days. The CDC defines “close contact” in these circumstances as “anyone who was within six feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before the person began feeling sick until the time the patient was isolated.”
- I will travel to the Middlebury College campus as directly as possible and will arrive on campus at my designated arrival time.
- I will follow all health and safety precautions during travel, including limiting stops to only those that are necessary, physical distancing from others whenever possible, always wearing a face covering, and using frequent and proper hand hygiene (i.e., washing hands with soap and warm water or using hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available).
Testing, Contact Tracing, Daily Health Screening and Flu Vaccine
- I will comply with all COVID-19 testing protocols as directed by the College and/or local, state, or federal officials including testing, free of charge, as arranged by the Center for Health and Wellness (“CHW”) and the Broad Institute, including day zero, day seven and targeted dynamic testing throughout the semester.
- I consent to having all COVID-19 test results shared with CHW, the Vermont Department of Health, the Broad Institute, and other health-related agencies, as applicable.
- I will comply with all confidential contact tracing protocols as directed by the College, the Vermont Department of Health, or other local, state or federal officials, including supplying the names and contact information of other individuals with whom I have been in recent, close contact, to the contact tracer.
- I will maintain a contact journal that lists the names of other people with whom I have been in close contact each day. “Close contact” is defined as contact with any person closer than six feet for at least 15 minutes. A journal is not required for situations where there is already a record of individuals at a certain location (e.g., classes or other scheduled events where the list of participants is ordinarily recorded). I agree to share this information with the contact tracer to assist with the contact tracing process.
- Using an app designated by the College, I will complete daily health checks (also referred to as “health screenings”), including temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks, prior to leaving my room in the morning, including going to class or work, going to the dining hall, or participating in any campus activity. I will also monitor myself for COVID-19 symptoms at all times. I understand that I will not have access to other campus locations outside of my dorm if I have any COVID-19 symptoms.
- I will bring a thermometer to campus for my personal daily health screenings.
- In the event that I have one or more symptoms of COVID-19, I will immediately report those symptoms to CHW. I will quarantine in my dorm room (or in my off-campus residence, as applicable) until I receive further guidance from CHW or other appropriate health official.
- I will receive the 2020 flu vaccine when it becomes available (unless I have a documented religious or medical exemption, which I will provide to CHW).
Quarantine and Isolation
- If I experience any symptoms that may be associated with COVID-19, or if I believe that I have been in close contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19, I will comply with all isolation, quarantine, and other procedures as directed by the College or other local, state or federal officials, including requests to self-quarantine in my room to avoid exposing others, to undergo COVID-19 testing, and/or temporary transfer to isolation housing and refraining from physical contact with others except to receive medical care.
- While in self-quarantine, I will stay in my bedroom and will not leave that room for any reason except to use the bathroom or in case of a health emergency. I will have no visitors, and will wear a mask at all times except when sleeping, personal grooming or eating. I will adhere to strict physical distancing requirements around others. I understand that meals will be delivered to me (if I live on campus) and that I must arrange for meal delivery if I live off campus. I will submit a daily symptom report to CHW during the quarantine period.
- If I receive a positive COVID-19 test at any time, I agree to move to specific isolation housing, if directed to do so, and follow all health directives from the College or other appropriate medical provider. I understand that I may be required to participate in contact tracing and subsequent COVID-19 testing and symptom monitoring during the isolation period.
- After receiving my day-zero and day-seven negative COVID-19 test results, I will comply with Campus quarantine requirements until the College directs otherwise.
Physical Distancing and Occupancy Limits
- I will maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from others, to the greatest extent possible, while on and off campus, as directed by the College. I agree that, even while maintaining physical distance, I will not gather with other students in groups that exceed restrictions on gathering size at any time either on or off campus.
- I will comply with all maximum occupancy requirements, signage, and floor markings posted in all campus spaces (e.g., classrooms, labs, event spaces, break rooms, common spaces, and lounges).
- I will follow all requirements related to the size of social gatherings and events as directed by the College.
- I will frequently and thoroughly maintain hygiene by regular hand washing with soap and warm water or using hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available. I will not share utensils, glasses, pens or pencils, laptops, keyboards, microphones, toothbrushes, or other similar personal products, and I will frequently sanitize or disinfect my high-touch surfaces, such as phone screens, keyboards, tables, desks, etc.
- I will responsibly dispose of any sanitizing or disinfecting wipes and related materials.
- I will cover my mouth and nose with tissues or use the inside of my elbow when I cough or sneeze. I will throw all tissues in the trash and immediately wash my hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer.
- I will keep my residential space clean and will clean shared spaces and surfaces when I begin to use them (e.g., bathrooms, classroom tables and desks, and study spaces). I will use cleaning supplies provided by the College to clean shared spaces.
- I will wear a face covering as required by Middlebury policies. Exceptions to the face covering requirement are:
- When I am alone in a private space
- When I am in my own dorm room, suite, small campus house, or off- campus residence after all of my roommate(s)/suitemate(s)/housemate(s) have received a second (day-seven) negative COVID-19 test.
- When I am in my own residence hall or off-campus bathroom performing personal grooming.
- When I am eating in an appropriately physically distanced location from others.
- When I am exercising alone outdoors.
- My face covering will fit securely and snugly against the sides of my face, extend from below my chin to above my nose, and cover my nose and mouth completely.
- I agree to maintain and regularly clean a minimum of two reusable face coverings supplied by me or by the College, or I will bring a semester’s supply of single-day-use masks to campus for my use. If I use single-day-use masks, I will dispose of them responsibly.
Other Safety Requirements/Community Standards
- I will complete all required safety trainings, including the online SafeColleges trainings.
- I will not invite or host guests from outside the College, including Middlebury students who are studying remotely and living in Vermont or elsewhere, inside on-campus residential spaces, or any other campus location during the 2020-21 academic year and will abide by other College rules regarding hosting enrolled, on-campus Middlebury students.
- I will comply with all requirements regarding off-campus travel, social gatherings, and events.
- I will participate swiftly and responsibly in all evacuation and lockdown procedures as directed by Middlebury or other local, state or federal officials.
- I will be respectful and attentive to anyone who needs help or a reminder about community expectations.
- I will avoid bias-based discrimination. I understand and acknowledge that the current COVID-19 outbreak has provoked bias and discriminatory behaviors against people of certain racial and ethnic backgrounds. We know that the virus does not differentiate with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic status, or physical ability. During this time of great uncertainty based on the COVID-19 pandemic, I will treat my peers, faculty, and staff with the respect every human being deserves and not promote, participate in, or allow my own bias to impede the access and opportunity of others in my community. (See the CDC’s statement on Reducing Stigma).