Transfer Courses and Off-Campus Study


A. Transfer Courses

Students may transfer course credits from other U.S. institutions of higher education only at the discretion of Middlebury College. Students should obtain preliminary approval for a course for which they expect transfer credit before enrolling in it. Students should complete in advance a Transfer Credit Application Form, requiring approval by the appropriate department chair or program director and the dean of International Programs. The form should be accompanied by a complete course description and a syllabus, if available; further information about the institution may also be required by the chair or dean. Transcripts from approved educational institutions must be official and sent directly from the institution that granted credit. Grade reports, unofficial transcripts, faxed or hand-carried transcripts are not acceptable.

To receive credit the transfer course should normally be above the introductory level at the institution attended and carry at least three semester-hour credits or five quarter-hour credits. Only courses that meet for a period of four weeks or longer and at least the same number of class hours as an equivalent Middlebury College course are eligible to receive credit. A student may only transfer two courses per summer session and a maximum of four summer courses over two sessions. Only courses with a grade of C- or better may be transferred from another institution toward the Middlebury degree.  Courses graded on a pass/fail basis do not transfer. Transfer credits may be used to satisfy the academic and cultures/civilizations distribution requirements if the transfer credit is considered by the appropriate Middlebury department to be the equivalent of a Middlebury course that would satisfy one or more of those requirements. After students matriculate at Middlebury College, they normally may not take two-year or community college courses for credit towards a Middlebury degree.  College courses taken in high school and applied toward a high school diploma or in a college/high school cooperative program are not transferable. Only courses taken on college campuses, taught by college professors, for college students, and for which there are official transcripts may be considered for transfer.

Transfer work from U.S. institutions will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis to determine the fulfillment of Middlebury departmental and College requirements. The major European examination certificates, such as the French Baccalauréat, International Baccalaureate, Swiss Maturité, Artium Examination, British A levels, and German Abitur, are normally considered to have a value of five credits if students receive scores that indicate excellent performance. Students who receive such credit may not then receive credit for Middlebury introductory courses in subjects covered on the examination.

All transfer course work completed off campus, whether in the U.S. or abroad, must receive final approval by the dean of international programs. When courses taken prior to matriculation at Middlebury, during summers, or while withdrawn from the College are transferred, the credit is recorded but not the grade that was awarded. Students on a post-matriculation semester or year-long study abroad program must have the program approved by the Programs Abroad Committee prior to their study abroad to receive Middlebury credit. Students will not receive transfer credit for non-approved study abroad programs.

B. 0555 Courses

Students may receive one course credit for highly specialized advanced work (designated 0555) relating to their major field with prior approval and subsequent evaluation by their major department. This work will normally be unpaid, done in the summer or when a student is not regularly enrolled, and will be graded credit/no credit.

The 0555 courses are not summer 0500 projects; they involve high-level research under professional supervision. Research must result in material that can be evaluated by a Middlebury faculty member. All 0555 projects must be approved in advance by the Curriculum Committee. A fee of $100 is charged for 0555 courses.

C. Off-Campus Study/Junior Year Abroad

Off-campus study provides students opportunities to further develop their language skills and/or assimilate the culture of another country; or it can give access to academic programs, cultural resources, or natural environments unavailable at Middlebury College. More than half of each Middlebury class studies abroad in the junior year, and some 65 percent of these students take courses in their discipline in the language of the host country and/or engage in advanced language study. To ensure a sense of purpose, students should clearly define academic and personal goals, possess adequate competence in language and other pertinent skills, and select an appropriate school and setting. Students who plan to study abroad, whether as part of a language, International Studies, or other major, should consider beginning or continuing language study in their first semester at Middlebury.

Students wishing to study at one of the Schools Abroad programs should consult with their academic adviser, the appropriate language department and International Programs and Off-Campus Study. These programs are open to all qualified students.

The Off-Campus Study committee considers student applications for direct enrollment in selected overseas universities, as well as certain junior year abroad programs established by other American colleges and universities. In granting permission for a junior year abroad program, Middlebury agrees to grant full equivalent credit on successful completion of the program. Interested students should consult with International Programs and Off-Campus Study for further information. Descriptions of programs, catalogs, and application forms are available in that office.

Students studying on approved junior year abroad programs are charged an administrative fee. See the College Handbook Student Finances section for the fee for the current year. The purpose of the fee is to help offset administrative costs associated with off-campus study, including advising, application to and approval by International Programs and Off-Campus Study or the Off-Campus Study committee, assistance with registration and room draw while abroad, coordination with and oversight of off-campus programs, and awarding of credit.

Students approved for junior year abroad must maintain a satisfactory academic average. Should they not remain "in good standing," permission will be rescinded.

Grades for courses taken on approved programs abroad and in approved programs of domestic off-campus study are recorded on the transcript and included in the calculation of the grade point average. International Programs and Off-Campus Study is responsible for converting grades issued on other grading scales to the Middlebury A-F grading system.

For more information about study abroad requirements, students can check the guidelines posted on the Study Abroad Web site, as well as in the catalog entries for individual language departments, or they may stop by International Programs and Off-Campus Study.

Financial aid is available for all Schools Abroad programs and a small number of other Middlebury approved programs. Students with questions about the availability of financial aid for specific programs are encouraged to consult the study abroad guidelines, available at International Programs and Off-Campus Study in Sunderland or on that Office's Web page (see above). Questions about the process of applying for and receiving aid for approved programs can be answered by the staff in the Office of Student Financial Services.

D. Pre-professional Combined Plans

Combined-plan students enroll in approved professional school programs after three years at Middlebury and become eligible for a Middlebury bachelor of arts degree upon successful completion of the first year of an advanced professional degree program or upon receipt of a bachelor-level degree in the professional discipline, and completion of all Middlebury degree requirements. Middlebury students have had arrangements with several schools of engineering and nursing. A student may propose and arrange a combined plan with another accredited professional school in medicine, dentistry, or veterinary medicine. Interested students should contact the chair of the pre-professional committee early in their college careers and no later than fall semester of the junior year. Further information is available at Pre-professional Programs Web site.

E. Washington Semester Program

Selected students each year spend one semester in the Washington Semester Program administered by American University. Interested students should contact International Programs and Off-Campus Study. Middlebury financial aid is not available for this program.

F. Maritime Studies Program

Middlebury students may spend a semester studying at the Williams-Mystic Maritime Studies Program or the Woods Hole SEA Semester: Field Studies in Marine and Environmental Studies Program. Interested students should contact International Programs and Off-Campus Study. Middlebury financial aid is not available for these programs.

G. Exchange Programs

Middlebury maintains exchange programs with Spelman College and Swarthmore College during fall and spring semesters. Questions about the availability of financial aid for these programs should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services.

H. Semester at Woods Hole Marine Biological Laboratory

Students of biology and/or environmental studies with a science focus may elect to spend the fall semester at the Woods Hole Marine Biological Laboratory. They may obtain four units of credit for: Aquatic Ecosystems (with lab), Terrestrial Ecosystems (with lab); Mathematical Modeling or Microbial Ecology, Science Writer's Seminar, and an Independent Research Project. Students should consult the Biology department and International Programs and Off-Campus Study for more information about this program.

I. Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)

Middlebury students who complete all eight of the ROTC courses at the University of Vermont are eligible to receive two credits towards their Middlebury College degree.  No credits will be awarded if the student does not complete the full sequence of ROTC courses. The two credits awarded will be general credits and will not satisfy any distribution requirements. Completion of the ROTC program will satisfy one of the two physical education units required for graduation.

J. Association of Vermont Independent Colleges

Through the Association of Vermont Independent Colleges, Middlebury has exchange opportunities with Bennington College, Burlington College, Champlain College, Goddard College, Green Mountain College, Marlboro College, Norwich University, Saint Michael's College, Southern Vermont College, and Sterling College. Interested students should contact International Programs and Off-Campus Study.

rev. 8/12/15