From the History Files

Battell's Bequest

inn-1-a12-9-crop.jpgThe Bread Loaf School of English might owe its genesis to an 1865 hunting and fishing expedition that took Joseph Battell along the winding stagecoach road, now known as Vermont State Route 125, to an old farmhouse three miles north of Ripton. Purchasing that farmhouse in 1866, Battell spent the next fifty years developing the property into an inn and adding over 31,000 acres to the original tract. Upon his death in 1915, Battell bequeathed these lands to Middlebury College, and by the summer of 1920, the Bread Loaf School of English was established at the site. The College announced in November that 2,100 of those acres would be conserved in perpetuity through the Bread Loaf Preservation Fund thanks to the philanthropy of trustee Louis Bacon ’79. 

Map-Signing-1-web.jpgThis past summer, Director Emily Bartels and others observed as outgoing President Ronald Liebowitz signed the documents making this second gift of Bread Loaf lands a reality and ensuring the studies of future generations of Bread Loafers at the site that inspired Battell 150 years ago.

Read more at:

www.middlebury.edu/newsroom/node/488112
www.middlebury.edu/newsroom/node/488697