The Bread Loaf School of English

Visa Information

U.S. Campuses

Students who are not U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents of the U.S. must have legal nonimmigrant status, which allows them to take courses full-time. Students should check with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at Middlebury College:; 802.443.5858--to confirm their status. Please note: Tourist status does not allow full-time study; students with a tourist visa (B-1 or B-2) or a visa waiver will not be eligible to attend Bread Loaf. 

Most international students attending Bread Loaf do so on an F-1 visa. To apply for an F-1 visa, students must obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, which they will then submit with the visa application at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad.

  • I-20 application forms and instructions are available at: http.://
  • Before the I-20 can be processed, students must be enrolled in the Bread Loaf program for the summer in which the I-20 status is sought, and must have completed all financial aid forms as applicable.
  • I-20 applications take time to process; students should apply early. Applications received after May 1 may not be processed in time for students to receive an F-1 visa before the summer session.
  • Students who are currently in, though not citizens or legal permanent residents of, the U.S. should contact ISSS to determine whether they will need an I-20.

Oxford campus

U.S. citizens will not need a visa to attend the Oxford program if staying in the U.K. for less than six months; they will, however, need a passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of the return trip.