COVID-19: Essential Information

International Faculty and Staff

All non-U.S. citizens / non-U.S. legal permanent residents who have accepted a staff, faculty or research/fellow position at Middlebury College or the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) need to be in an appropriate visa status and should contact ISSS when they accept their position. This includes the Undergraduate College, Language Schools, Bread Load School of English (BLSE), Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, and Summer Programs faculty and staff.  It also includes MIIS faculty, staff, self-funded researchers and CNS faculty, staff, researchers and fellows.

Most international faculty and staff come to Middlebury College/MIIS in J-1 (Exchange Visitor) status. (This is usually the case for those who have not recently been in the U.S. or for those currently in J-1 Professor status at another institution.) If you are transferring your SEVIS record from another institution, please complete the SEVIS Transfer In Form.  Once ISSS receives the completed form and supporting documents, a DS-2019 will be sent to you, along with instructions on how to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. However, we cannot issue a DS-2019 until you have returned your signed contract to the College. It can take several weeks to complete the visa application process, therefore the appropriate form should be submitted as soon as possible.

Individuals currently in F-1 or J-1 status at other institutions are eligible to apply for employment authorization through the institution which produced their I-20 or DS-2019. Students in F-1 status may apply for Curricular or Optional Practical Training. Those in J-1 status may apply for Academic Training. If you are currently in F-1 or J-1 student status, and wish work at Middlebury College/MIIS, we encourage you to discuss your plans with the international student advisor at your institution. Your international student advisor is the Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) who will assist you with authorization for employment.

If you are currently in H-1B status at another institution, or if you are being hired for a multi-year contract and are ineligible for J-1 Professor status, H-1B status may be the most appropriate status. If Middlebury College/MIIS determines that H-1B status is appropriate, ISSS will submit the H-1B petition to USCIS on your behalf.


International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858