Earn a Master of Arts or Master of Letters over four or five summers, or pursue continuing graduate education over one or more summers. You’ll encounter new texts and ideas with world-renowned faculty and emerge re-energized and ready to read, write, perform, teach, and interpret the world in revolutionary ways.Explore Our Programs
Bread Loaf School of English is an intensive summer master’s and continuing education program for teachers and other professionals. Since 1920, students have experienced how Bread Loaf can transform their teaching, their career, and themselves.
What Makes Us Different
You are immersed.
Join a community of innovative thinkers and teachers in vigorous full-time graduate study. Engage meaningfully with peers and faculty who are dedicated to transforming texts into thoughts and actions.
Think across disciplinary boundaries. Nowhere other than Bread Loaf can you be part of a master’s program that connects English, American, and world literatures with creative writing, pedagogy, and theater arts.Are you ready?
Each summer, you’ll discover a new community and culture at one of our distinct campus locations.
at Middlebury’s Bread Loaf Mountain Campus
- 250 students
- Located in the Green Mountain National Forest
- Home to the Bread Loaf Acting Ensemble, integrated into daily classes and life
- A full-scale letterpress operation with on-site master printers
- Access to the Middlebury College resources
at Lincoln College, University of Oxford
- 65 - 75 students
- Centrally located within the city and University of Oxford
- Extensive independent research
- Access to the Bodleian Library
- Excursions to London and Stratford theaters, and to nearby country houses and museums
at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies
- 45 - 50 students
- Located on the California coast
- Interdisciplinary approach to global cultures and concepts
- Innovative three-week session, structured around small-group tutorials
- Uniquely intensive and immersive