Financial aid and special funding help make a Bread Loaf education affordable.
Financial aid is available in the form of grants and loans. Grants do not need to be repaid. Aid is awarded on the basis of financial need and scholastic achievement on a first-come, first-served basis. There are also on-campus student jobs available in Vermont.
New and returning students who wish to be considered for financial aid offered through Middlebury College should follow these instructions:
- Submit your Bread Loaf application for admission or, for returning students, re-enrollment.
- Beginning late October 2023, within a few days after you have submitted your admissions application or re-enrollment, you will receive an email with the subject “Middlebury Financial Aid Information” that includes instructions on how to access and complete the Middlebury Summer Schools Financial Aid Application in Net Partner, Middlebury’s Student Financial Aid Portal. Do not wait until you have received admissions or enrollment decisions to apply for aid.
Financial aid will be awarded in two main rounds in February and April 2024, according to the schedule in the Awarding for Summer 2024 section below, and then continue on a rolling basis until funds are depleted.
Aid funds are limited, so we encourage you to apply early. Offers are made through Middlebury’s Office of Student Financial Services. They will be your contact throughout the financial aid application process and can help you with any questions you have about your aid application or the timing of your aid decision.
Need-based financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the later of one of these two dates, as follows:
- The date your completed financial aid application was received by the Office of Student Financial Services
- The date you completed your Bread Loaf application for admission or re-enrollment form.
Students will receive their financial aid notification in two main blocks, depending on the completion of their Bread Loaf enrollment.
- To receive an aid decision by February 16, 2024: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf program and aid applications by January 26, 2024; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms and aid applications by February 9, 2024.
- To receive an aid decision by April 19, 2024: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf program and aid applications by March 15, 2024; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms and aid applications by March 29, 2024.
- Anyone who is enrolled after March 30, 2024 will receive a decision on a rolling basis.
Bread Loaf will review and award special fellowships and scholarships across two periods following the February 16 and April 19 aid awarding dates. For best access to financial aid and special funding, apply and enroll early.
Read about special fellowships and scholarships. Fellowship and scholarships are administered through the Bread Loaf program; applications for special funding opportunities are generally available in early January to enrolled students through their student enrollment portals.
In addition to need-based grants, special funding, and on-campus jobs on the Vermont campus, students can consider these options when determining how to fund their Bread Loaf education: