December 17, 1997
Middlebury College Board of Trustees Announces
Names of Three New Student Houses
The Middlebury College Board of Trustees has announced
the names of three new student houses that are nearing completion-Brackett
House, Palmer House and Prescott House. The board named the houses
in honor of alumni in recognition of their commitment to residential
life at Middlebury College.
Located on the western edge of the campus, each building
is a two-story, wood-frame structure that will house 30 students.
The buildings contain mostly single rooms and common kitchen and
Co-ed groups of students who are members of organizations
known as social houses will occupy the buildings. On Jan. 3, Zeta
Theta Phi will move into Prescott House. Alpha Delta Phi and Omega
Alpha will occupy Brackett House and Palmer House respectively
as of Jan. 19. A fourth house will be completed before the fall
Brackett House is named in honor of Mary Williams
Brackett of the class of 1936, a native of Westminster, Vt., and
resident of Wilton, Conn. Academic dean emerita of Norwalk Community
College in Norwalk, Conn., Brackett taught in the Middlebury College
German School, and served as both the College's dean of admissions
for women and as dean of women. She is a former president of the
Middlebury College Alumni Association and a former vice chairman
of the College's board of trustees, the first woman to hold this
office. Brackett is currently a trustee emerita.
Palmer House is named in honor of Patricia Judah
Palmer of the class of 1957, a resident of Wellesley Hills, Mass.
She is a co-chair of the College's current Bicentennial Campaign,
a $200 million fundraising effort that will conclude in 2000,
the year the College celebrates the 200th anniversary
of its founding. Palmer also has served as vice president and
president of the Middlebury College Alumni Association, class
secretary, and alumni admissions representative. As a fundraiser
for the College, she has volunteered for phonathons and worked
as a class agent. Palmer is a former member of the board of trustees
and a current trustee emerita.
Prescott House is named in honor of W. Kyle Prescott
of the class of 1949, owner of the import/export firm Prescott
& Co. Ltd. A resident of Ontario, Canada, where his company
is based, Prescott has served the College as co-founder of the
Middlebury College Alumni Association of Canada and president
of the Montreal Chapter of the Middlebury College Alumni Association.
He also was the chairman of the Montreal admissions committee
from 1974 to 1989. Accompanying admissions staff members throughout
the United States and Canada, Prescott was instrumental in building
the alumni admissions program from just 27 alumni participants
in its early years to over 2300 alumni volunteers today. A former
member of the board of trustees, Prescott is a trustee emeritus.