Residential Room Keys

Room keys are issued by the Department of Public Safety. For residential hall regulations refer to the college handbook. Individuals must report lost or stolen keys to the Department of Public Safety immediately.

Lost Keys:

The individual will be allowed to sign out a second key from Public Safety for a 24 hour period. There is a key charge and a lock change fee for lost and stolen keys (see below).


If an individual locks the key inside his/her room, he/she will be allowed to sign out a second key from Public Safety for a 24 hour period. If an individual is not able to come to Public Safety to obtain a replacement key, the individual can request a Public Safety officer to assist with unlocking his/her dorm room door.  The lockout service will result in a $10 charge.

Room Change / Move out  -  Key return:

When a person's housing assignment ends, or enrollment ends due to withdrawal, conclusion of the academic year, summer term, or graduation, he/she must move out of the room and return key immediately. 

During the Academic Year, keys must be returned to the key to the Commons Office or to the Department of Public Safety.  

Summer School keys must be returned to the Department of Public Safety.  Individuals may not occupy a room after the housing assignment ends or once the room key has been returned.

Note: Individuals who have opted out of J-Term are not enrolled, and must return their key at the end of Fall Term.  Keys will be reissued for Spring Term.

Individuals returning to the same dorm room after a break, do not return the key until the end of the academic year.

Mailing Keys:

If you return your key via mail, you must e-mail Key Administration immediately. Alert the department that you are sending your key and request additional time for it to be returned.  When mailing your key, you must send it by FedEx or UPS Next Day Service as lock changes are submitted promptly to prepare for upcoming events and housing.  Do not use paper envelopes. Keys are often stripped out by automated mailing machines and never make it to Middlebury College. Failure to return the key results in a lock change with charges being applied to student accounts. A key is counted as returned when it arrives at the DPS office at Middlebury. 

Failure to return a room key will result in the fines listed below.

  • $50 nonrefundable key charge being billed to the student
  • An additional $50 will be charged for a lock change

If you have any questions in regards to keys, please e-mail


Note:  people living in touch pad code buildings will need to log into their Banner Web account to see the code.  If you need to have your code changed during the academic year contact the Residential Systems Coordinator at (802) 443-3301.  There may be a $25.00 charge for touch pad code changes.

Language School Faculty, Staff & Guest Residential Keys

Loss or Damage: All lost or stolen keys must be reported to Public Safety. Faculty/staff and dependents will bear any cost associated with the loss, theft, destruction, or damage to the key(s) issued. Any costs incurred for re-keying shall be assumed by the individual.

Lock Outs: If Faculty/staff or dependents need a loaner key after being locked out of a room, it is the person’s responsibility to return the loaner key to the Department of Public Safety within 24 hours of issuance. If the key is not brought back within the 24 hour period, the lock will be changed and the person will be billed.

If you are unable to come to the Public Safety office to pick up a loaner key, an officer may be available to give you access. You may be charged a fee for this service.

Fees: Lost, Stolen, or Unreturned Keys - Master Keys: $100 for the key plus an additional $50 for each lock change required. Residential Keys: $50 for key returned after work order placed, but before lock is changed. $100 for key not returned, or returned after lock is changed.

If you have any questions in regards to keys, please e-mail