For Current Updates on COVID-19:

Off Campus Special Requests

Middlebury College is a residential institution.  As such, living on campus is a vital and essential part of a Middlebury education. All students are required to live on campus while they are enrolled. Students with medical or psychological needs, that might necessitate changes to their current housing assignment, should address their concerns with their Commons Deans. After meeting with the student, Commons Deans may refer students to Student Accessibility Services. Depending on personal needs, modifications will be made to the student's housing whenever possible to maintain their ability to live on-campus. Such modifications might include: 

    • Room furniture changes
    • Relocation to a different room on campus
    • Single room assignment
    • Wellness House assignment
    • Service or assistance animal

Should such modifications be insufficient to meet a student’s specific needs, the student may elect to apply to live off-campus. Such requests must be submitted through the attached form and include a statement sharing why on campus housing no longer provides an appropriate living arrangement as well as supporting documentation.  This documentation must:

  1. be prepared by an objective professional specifically qualified in the diagnosis of such condition.
  2. include information on how the diagnosis was made and include any relevant history of the student's condition.
  3. reflect the present necessity of removing the student from the campus community.
  4. be appropriately recent.

Students will be asked to complete the application and to have a medical or psychological professional complete the Campus Housing Release Form.

The submitted statement and any supporting documentation will be shared with Commons Deans and Dean of the College staff (e.g. Counseling, Accessibility Services, Title IX) who will assist in making the final decision. The Review Committee meets monthly to review submitted applications.  After rendering a decision, the committee will inform the student, the student’s Commons Dean and Coordinator, and the Residential Systems Coordinator.