Middlebury encourages students, staff, faculty, and community to act sustainably whenever possible—and that includes getting from point A to point B. Several useful transportation resources can help.
Middlebury students, staff, and faculty with their Middlebury ID can ride for free on regularly scheduled ACTR buses around town and to the Middlebury College Snow Bowl. You can even bring your bike on board!
ACTR also offers commuter buses to Burlington, Rutland, and neighboring towns. Staff and faculty ride commuter buses (both CCTA and ACTR) for free when they pick up a bus sticker from Human Resources. Students must pay for commuter buses.
You can check out the map and schedules at http://actr-vt.org, or call 802-388-1946 or 800-685-RIDE (7433).
If you want to go a little farther than the ATCR public transit buses can take you, there are several options:
- Vermont Translines: Daily service from campus. Morning to Albany via Rutland. Evenings to Burlington.
- Dartmouth Coach: Travel from Hanover, N.H., to Boston, Mass.
- Greyhound Lines: Stops throughout Vermont, including Middlebury, Rutland, White River Junction, and Burlington.
- Megabus: Daily service from Burlington to New York, Boston, Montpelier, Amherst, and Hartford.
Amtrak stops in Port Henry, N.Y. (25-minute drive from Middlebury), Rutland, Vt. (45-minute drive), and Essex Junction, Vt. (one-hour drive). You can sign up for the Amtrak student advantage card for discounts.
Airports within a few hours’ drive can take you anywhere you need to go:
- Burlington International Airport (BTV): Located in Vermont, approximately one-hour drive from Middlebury.
- Albany International Airport (ALB): Located in New York, approximately 2.5-hour drive from Middlebury.
- Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT): Located in New Hampshire, approximately 2.75-hour drive from Middlebury.
- The state of Vermont also runs smaller airports throughout the state, including ones in Rutland and Middlebury.
Middlebury SGA Break Buses
For most recess periods, the Student Government Association offers discounted chartered buses for students traveling to Boston, New York City, the Burlington International Airport, and the Burlington Greyhound Station. Bus schedules and rates are announced during the semester. Find more information here.
Midd Rides is an evening transportation service available to Middlebury College community members. It operates each night during the academic year when classes are in session.
Sunday–Thursday, 7:30 p.m.–1:30 a.m.
Friday and Saturday, 8:30 p.m.–2:30 a.m.
Three on-campus ZipCars are available to Middlebury students, faculty, and staff on an hourly and daily rental basis. Two are located in the parking lot behind the Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest, and one in the parking lot of the Mahaney Center for the Arts. Sign up here for a Middlebury ZipCar account.
- Zimride is a ride-sharing network that helps you offer or request rides for commutes, road trips, and popular events. Find others going the same way you are.
- Vermont Rideshare offers a free list of names, phone numbers, and schedules of neighbors who want to share a ride to and from their workplaces. They also offer a free emergency ride home program if you participate in carpooling two or more days per week.
Private Taxis and Shuttles
- AA Transportation 802-227-2776 www.taxiinvt.com
24/7 service. $60 flat rate service to/from anywhere in the Burlington area, split the cost between up to 7 passengers. AA Transportation values timeliness and safety. Call for competitive rates to/from Montreal for up to 7 passengers.
- Vermont Car Service Luxury car transportation and airport shuttle service based in Burlington. http://vermontcarservice.com/
- Middlebury Transit: 802-388-3838 or toll-free: 800-388-1002 (24 hours), www.middleburytransit.com Provides students with discounted transportation to and from the Burlington International Airport, as well as ride sharing assistance for students and groups traveling to the airport during peak break periods.
- Vermont Tour and Charter: 802-734-1293
Offers same-day, round-trip transportation from Middlebury to Burlington for groups of up to 10 passengers.
- Jessica’s Vital Transit: 802-349-8833
Private service or complimentary, customized van-pooling. Service available at almost any hour with 48-hour notice.
- New England Taxi Airport Transportation: (802) 598-7254 or (802) 777-0392 Friendly and courteous with very competitive rates on minivan taxi and town car services.
- Small City Taxi: Contact Rick Loyer at 877-3395.
- Regional Taxi: Contact James Bonna at 802-233-1530 or email@example.com Competitive rates to/from local stations. Early morning/late night rides.