Course Scheduling Guidelines
If you have questions about:
Contact the Course Scheduler (Kathleen Parent) at ext. 5069 or e-mail "Scheduling, Course".
Course Scheduling Times
For classes that have three 50-minute meetings a week:
8:00 - 8:50 MWF
9:05 - 9:55 MWF
10:10 - 11:00 MWF
11:15 - 12:05 MWF
12:30 - 1:20 MWF
1:45 - 2:35 MWF
2:50 - 3:40 MW
Lectures and discussions cannot be scheduled on T or R from 12:30 - 1:20
For classes that have two 75-minute classes a week:
8:00 - 9:15 T/R
8:40 - 9:55 M/W (Junior & Senior seminars only)
9:30 - 10:45 T/R
11:00 - 12:15 T/R
12:15 - 1:30 M/W (Please Note, students will not be able to register for M or W 1:30-4:15 courses)
1:30 - 2:45 T/R
2:50 - 4:05 M/W
3:00 - 4:15 T/R
7:30 - 8:45 M/W
For classes that have one meeting a week:
1:30 - 4:15 any day (M - R) (Please Note, students will not be able to register for M/W 12:15-1:30 courses)
7:30 - 10:25 M, T or W
Three-hour classes may be scheduled from 7:30 - 10:25 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. 75-minute classes may be scheduled from 7:30 - 8:45 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. Screenings may be scheduled on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. Evening classes on other nights must be approved by the dean of the faculty or designate. Athletic contests will not be scheduled on Monday evenings.
Examinations outside of Class Time
Mid-term examinations given outside of class should be scheduled on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. or Friday at 2:30 p.m. whenever possible. Faculty scheduling mid-terms on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday evenings must offer alternate examination times to students who have a regularly scheduled class or screening on one of those evenings.
- Fifty minute discussions may be scheduled within a 75 minute period on Tuesday or Thursday; however, those scheduled for the first half of Tuesday or Thursday afternoon should be held from 1:55 - 2:45 to help relieve lunchtime congestion in the dining halls.
- Screenings may be scheduled on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Students who have legitimate conflicts (exams, athletic contests) with a scheduled screening may request to view the screening at an alternate time, i.e. through the Media Services reserve holdings.
- Beginning Fall 2014, Friday afternoon classes will not meet after 2:45pm.
- Any time changes to courses after the completion of Banner data entry require approval from the department chair.
- Departments must schedule their courses so that no more than approximately 50 percent of lecture sections are offered during the "prime time hours:" Mon-Wed at 9:05, 10:10, and 11:15; and Tu-Th at 9:30 and 11:00 and Mon-Wed 8:40.
- Departments are prohibited from scheduling discussion sections during the "prime time hours." Discussion sections should be scheduled at 8:00 am, on Fridays, in the afternoons, or at 7:30 p.m. on evenings on which classes are held. Language drills and 4th hours may be scheduled during the "prime time hours."
- Departments must offer 1 out of 11 of their lecture sections in the 8:00 a.m. Mon-Wed-Fri and 8:00 Tu-Th time blocks (no change from current policy). Departments that offer multiple-section courses with an enrollment of primarily first-year students are encouraged to schedule at least one of the sections at 8:00 a.m. Evening courses can also fulfill an 8:00am requirement.
- In order to reduce conflicts with afternoon laboratories and discussion sections, departments are encouraged to schedule high-enrollment 100-level lecture courses in the mornings.
- 50-minute and 75-minute classes may not be scheduled in ways that cut across two standard time blocks. Each department may offer one 12:15-1:30 class each semester.
- Classes that meet five days a week must be scheduled so that they fully utilize two of the standard time blocks, rather than spreading across three time blocks.
- Courses with two or more distinct lecture sections offered in the same semester must be scheduled so that all lecture sections meet at different times.
- Classes schedule on M/W at 8:40 should be reserved for 0300 & 0400 level courses.
Winter Term Guidelines
8:15 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
any combination of hours between 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Priority Guidelines used by the Course Scheduler
- Courses with special or technical needs, such as lab equipment or computer labs, will receive priority for rooms with equipment that meets those needs, and will be scheduled first.
- Number of students enrolled will determine the size of room in which course is scheduled.
- Particular room style needs (seminar, lecture, auditorium) will be considered next.
- Where needs are identical, preference for a particular room or time slot will be given to departments that adhere to the scheduling guidelines stated above.