COVID-19: Essential Information
Can I apply for a U.S. visa outside my country of citizenship?
It is possible to apply for a U.S. visa in a country other than the country from which you hold your passport; this is called applying as a “Third Country National”.  While most Embassies accept applications from Third Country Nationals, not all do so. You should check the website of the Embassy at which you plan to apply for the visa to see if they accept applications from "Third Country Nationals."

There are risks in applying for a visa in a country other than your own. Since the F-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa, the Embassy Official must determine if you are planning to immigrate to the U.S. and judge the likelihood of your returning to your home country once your program in the U.S. is complete. Officials in other countries will probably not be familiar with your country of citizenship and may not be comfortable in making this determination. Also, if for any reason you are denied a visa, you would not be able to re-enter the U.S., even if your current F-1 visa had not expired. (The visa denial would in effect invalidate your current visa.)  Therefore, we advise students not to apply for a new visa as a Third Country National unless there is a real need to do so.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858