My visa has expired, what do I do?

Learn more about the life of your visa by visiting the Department of State Web page.

Does the deposit count towards my College bill and family contribution?

Yes. When you submit your deposit to reserve your place at the College, it is applied to your College bill. It is considered part of your family contribution.

When completing the I-20 Application, if you have already paid the deposit, you may deduct the deposit from the total family contribution you are required to show on the I-20 application.
Updated, January 2010

Can I enroll if I am in tourist status?

No. B-1/B-2 visa status, and the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) do not allow enrollment in courses.

Can Middlebury authorize OPT after the summer program?
Students must be in the U.S. for one full academic year before they become eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) Employment Authorization. Most Summer School students are not eligible for OPT, as they are only in the U.S. for the summer sessions.

We strongly recommend that students completing a program at another institution discuss the OPT application process with their international student advisor to determine the best strategy.

Can I pay my deposit or tuition through an electronic transfer of funds or a credit card?

Yes. To transfer funds electronically to Middlebury College, please contact the Cashier’s Office.

I am attending BLSE in Oxford. How do I get a visa?

In order to attend the BLSE School in Oxford, you may need to apply for a student visa to the United Kingdom. You are responsible for submitting the documents necessary to obtain the appropriate visa to study in the United Kingdom in a timely manner. Click here to find the UK Embassy nearest you.

What fees do I pay with my visa application?

You are responsible for paying the $160 visa application fee and the reciprocity fee (which varies by country).  A listing of the fees can be found at:

You may also be responsible for paying the $200 SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee.  We will send information on how to pay the fee with your I-20 if it pertains to you.

How long will it take to obtain an F-1 visa?

Waiting times vary from country to country. In some cases it only takes a week, while in others it may take more than a month. To see visa wait times at specific US Embassies and Consulates, please refer to the US Department of State Visa Wait Time Web site.

I already have an F-1 visa in my passport. Do I need to apply for a new one?

If you have been outside the U.S. for more than 5 months, we recommend that you apply for a new F-1 visa to avoid possible problems at the U.S. Port of Entry. The Department of State indicates that F-1 student visas become invalid if a student has been out of the U.S. for more than 5 months. If you choose not to obtain a new visa after an absence of more than 5 months, there is a risk that the Border Official may choose not to admit you to the U.S.

You may wish to contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate to request their advice on whether or not you should apply for a new F-1 visa.

How do I apply for an F-1 visa?

Instructions on applying for a U.S. visa will be sent to you with your I-20. In short, you will need to make an appointment with a U.S. Embassy for a visa interview, and then take your I-20 and series of documents to the Embassy to apply for the F-1 visa. We encourage you to inquire at your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate about the visa application process.

When will I get my I-20?

Starting in March, we expect to produce and send I-20s within 2 weeks of receiving your completed I-20 application and supporting financial documents. Your I-20 will be sent to you via express mail.

For financial aid applicants, please note that we cannot process your I-20 until the financial aid process is complete. Language School students must pay the deposit before you will be issued an I-20. We urge you to submit your financial aid application and deposit as soon as possible.

What do I do if I am stopped by a police officer, a U.S. immigration agent, or a Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) officer?

Always make sure to stay calm, ask the officer/agent for identification, and know your rights when you find yourself in this situation.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) maintains a detailed guide for individuals who find themselves in this situation.  You can access it at:  It is also available in an easy to carry wallet card format:

My employer/government is funding my summer school program. What kind of financial documentation do I need to show to obtain an I-20?

If your Summer School program is being funded by a non-Middlebury scholarship, please submit the original letter of award as financial proof. If your program is being funded through your employer, the letter must be on original letterhead, and state your employer's intent to pay for a specific amount of the cost of your program.

If you are receiving support from an outside source, you still must provide proof that you have sufficient funds for the total estimated cost of your program, including tuition, room, board, books, travel and personal expenses. Please see the chart on the I-20 instructions for the total estimated costs of the Summer Schools programs, and deduct the amount of outside support from the total below to arrive at the amount you must show in order for Middlebury College to produce your I-20.

How do I transfer my SEVIS record to Middlebury?

To transfer your SEVIS record to Middlebury College, please complete the:

  • I-20 application form
  • SEVIS transfer form

Please submit the forms with the required supporting documents as soon as possible.  We will create a new I-20 for your Summer Language Program once the transfer date has arrived.

Please note that transferring your SEVIS record to Middlebury College is only possible if you are completing a program in the Spring, and plan to enroll in the Middlebury College Summer School Program for the Summer of the same year.

Can I change from tourist to F-1 student status once I arrive to the U.S.?

While not impossible, it is EXTREMELY difficult to change from tourist to F-1 student visa status. The change of status application is long, costly, and in many cases, the change of status is denied. If you have entered the country as a tourist, and wish to enroll in the Middlebury College Summer Schools, you will probably have more success, and it will be more time efficient, to depart the U.S., apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and enter the U.S. in F-1 student status.

If you wish to attempt to change from a tourist to F-1 student status, you should begin the change of status application several months before you intend to study. Your change of status application must be approved before you are allowed to begin classes. Individuals in tourist status are not allowed to enroll in coursework.

Can I enroll if I am in H-1B status?

Individuals in H-1B status are allowed to enroll in classes, as long as the coursework is "incidental" to their H-1B status. This means that you can enroll in the Language Schools in H-1B status, as long as the classes do not interfere with your work, which is your primary purpose of being in the U.S. in H-1B status.

Many individuals who come to the Summer Schools work at Universities in H-1B status, have the summer off as a regular vacation period, and return to their institution in the fall to continue working in H status. In this case, there should not be a problem with enrolling in the Summer Schools in H-1B status.

However, if your H-1B status is ending prior to the Summer School Program, and you will not be returning to work in the fall, it gets more complicated. H-1B status is employer-specific, and comes to an end as soon as the employment ends, even if the individual has an H-1B visa or Approval Notice for dates beyond the end of employment. If your employment in H-1B status is ending prior to the Summer School program, you must change to a visa status which allows full-time enrollment (such as F-1). You are allowed to enroll in courses while your change of status to H-1B is pending.

Can I use an International Driving Permit in Vermont?

As an international  student or scholar, you may legally drive on the roads of the State of Vermont for up to one year from your date of arrival if you have an International Driving Permit AND a valid home country license AND if you are from one of the designated countries or territories.  A valid home country license is limited to a licensed driver who is at least 18 years old and limited to a vehicle of the type covered by the license.  For detailed information and to access the list of designated countries, please visit

Do I need a new I-20 from Middlebury if...

...I received one last year from Middlebury?

Yes. Your I-20 must reflect your current program dates of study. You need a new I-20 for each session you attend Middlebury.

. . . if I am Canadian?


Although Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa stamp in their passport, Canadians must obtain an I-20 from Middlebury College in order to enter the U.S. as students in F-1 visa status. You must take the I-20 with you to present to the U.S. officials at the border.

Please be aware that individuals who enter the U.S. in tourist status or through the Visa Waiver Program are not eligible to enroll in courses.

. . . if I am completing a program at another U.S. institution?

Probably. If you have not applied for Optional Practical Training (OPT), you must request a transfer of your SEVIS record from your current institution to Middlebury College in order to maintain your F-1 student status over the summer. Study is not allowed during grace periods.

If you are graduating in the Spring, and will be attending Graduate School in the fall, you also should transfer your SEVIS record, and obtain a Middlebury College I-20. Upon completion of the Summer School, you may request that Middlebury College transfer your SEVIS record to the Graduate School.

To transfer your SEVIS record to Middlebury College, please complete the I-20 application and the SEVIS transfer form as soon as possible.

If you have applied for OPT, please check with your current international student advisor to determine whether you will be able to follow your current school's OPT policies and maintain your F-1 status while attending Middlebury's summer program.

. . . if I have an I-20 from another school?

Probably not. If you are currently in F-1 status and working towards a degree at another institution in the U.S., you do not need to obtain an I-20 from Middlebury College, as long as you were enrolled in the spring term prior to, and will enroll in the fall term following, your summer program at Middlebury College. 

In other words, you do not need to obtain an I-20 from Middlebury as long you are attending the Middlebury College Summer Schools during a regular summer vacation period during your program at another university which you attend during the academic year as an F-1 student.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
84 South Service Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
P: 802 443-5858
F: 802 443-2063