COVID-19: Essential Information

H-1B Temporary Worker

The H-1B Temporary Worker status is a nonimmigrant visa classification used to hire a foreign national professionals for a temporary period of time.

H-1B temporary worker status is designated for individuals coming temporarily to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement."

The H-1B is considered an "employer specific" status. This means that the scholar may only be paid by the specific H-1B sponsor, and only according to the terms in each H-1B application. Scholars in H-1B status cannot accept funds from another employer or source other than the employer listed in the H-1B application.

In special circumstances, H-1B status may be the most appropriate status. (For instance, if you are currently in H-1B status at another institution, or if you are being hired for a multi-year contract and are ineligible for J-1 Professor status.) If Middlebury College determines that H-1B status is appropriate, ISSS will submit the H-1B petition to USCIS on your behalf.

In order for ISSS to determine which visa would best support your specific role at the College, please download and fill out the International Faculty and Staff Information Form, found to the right of the screen.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858