COVID-19: Essential Information

Other Visa Options

Most international faculty and staff come to Middlebury College in J-1 Exchange Visitor status, and in special cases H1-B, Temporary Worker status. Most international students come to Middlebury College in F-1 Student status and Exchange Students in J-1 Exchange Visitor student status. While there are many visa categories to consider, there are few that allow a person to study and/or work in the U.S. In addition to the information below, the Tax Office Web site has a comprehensive list of typical visas/scenarios for international individuals working and studying in higher education.

Trade NAFTA (TN) for Citizens of Canada or Mexico

The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals to work in the United States. Permanent residents of the U.S., including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.  For complete information about TN status, visit the U.S. Department of State site.

B-1/B-2 Tourist for Business/Tourist for Pleasure

The "visitor" visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1),for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or combination of both (B-1/B-2) purposes. Individuals coming to Middlebury for any prolonged academic activity should not enter the U.S. in B1 or B2 status. Consult with ISSS about the appropriate category.

Business Visitor Visas (B-1) - For example, if the purpose for your planned travel is to consult with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or conference on specific dates, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract, then a business visitor visa (B-1) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

Visitor Visas (B-2) - As examples, if the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.


International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858