COVID-19: Essential Information
What should I do in an emergency situation?

Go to the Emergency Response page (go/er) which includes links to information about who to call and what to do in the case of a variety of different emergencies.

How do I change my address?

You can now update your address via BannerWeb. Click here to view step-by-step instructions. You can also update your phone number using this process.

Please note that if you participate in the College's retirement plan (all benefits eligible staff and faculty do) you will need to contact TIAA-Cref separately to inform them of your new address.

How do I change my tax withholdings (file a new W-4)?

You can change your W-4 at any time.  Simply fill out a new form, which can be found here.   The form should be returned to the Human Resources office and can be delivered to the HR Coordinator at the front desk or mailed to Human Resources at 152 Maple Street, Suite 101, Middlebury, VT  05753.

How do I check my current tax withholdings?

You can check the number of exemptions you are currently claiming on your W-4 through BannerWeb.

Log in to BannerWeb as if you were going to fill out your timesheet.  Select the Employee menu as usual.  On the next page, look for Tax Forms to find your current information.


I’d like to reduce my hours

Employees may wish to reduce their hours for different reasons: perhaps as a transition step before full retirement, or for work-life balance, to allow time for continuing education, or to pursue a hobby or start a business.

Any employee who wishes to voluntarily reduce their hours on an ongoing basis should discuss this possibility with their manager as well as contact Human Resources. 

 - The manager needs to evaluate whether it is operationally possible to accommodate the request.  The division's Vice-President also needs to sign off on any  reductions in FTE (Full Time Equivalent).  Please note that approval for reductions is not automatic. 

-  It's important to discuss the possibilities with Human Resources. Ongoing reduction in hours can affect benefits eligibility, benefits costs, and salary. 

Keep in mind that a reduction in hours will be considered final, so a return to the higher level is not possible without approval from SRC.

If you have questions, please contact Human Resources.

I'm leaving my employment at Middlebury College.

Employees who are leaving the College may have questions about what they need to do prior to their last day of employment.  The first thing to do once you've made the decision to leave is to submit a letter of resignation:

  • - This should be addressed to your supervisor and cc'd to HR.
  • - It should specify your last date of work, which is the last day you will be physically present at work. (The last day can't be a CTO day).
  • - Email or hard copy versions are both acceptable.

(NOTE: no resignation letter is needed if you are finishing up a term position that was scheduled to end on a specific date or if you were working in a temporary position.)

  • If you participate in the College's retirement plan (all benefits eligible staff and faculty participate), call TIAA-Cref at 1-800-842-2776 to discuss your options.  Please note this is an informational discussion - no immediate action will be required.
  • If you have health or dental insurance, please note that no immediate action is needed.  You will receive written information about the option to continue your coverage under COBRA shortly after your separation date.  You have 60 days after receiving that information to make a decision.  CBA Blue administers our COBRA plans.
  • If you participate in either of the flexible spending accounts you have until March 15th of next year to file claims for services that occurrered prior to last day of employment.
  • Your final paycheck will be generated on the next regular pay date.  Be sure to complete your final timesheet as usual. 
  • If you have unused CTO hours, they will be paid out automatically in that final check. 
  • In order to receive information from the College (like next year's W-2 or the COBRA information), we need your current mailing address.   Please check your address in BannerWeb and notify HR in writing (email is fine) if it needs to be updated.
  • Your email account will stay active for 6 months after your departure.  Please discuss with your supervisor.  It may be appropriate to create an automatic reply to redirect inquiries to another person within your department.  Call the Helpdesk for information about automatic replies.
  • Your supervisor will also need to make a plan regarding your voicemail and telephone extension. Contact Telephone Services for support.
  • Make sure any personal electronic files are removed from your directories.
  • Ensure that work-related electronic files are accessible to your co-workers.  Contact the Helpdesk for support if needed.
  • You may wish to discuss a future employment reference with your supervisor or ask for a letter of reference.  Keep in mind that you need to sign the reference authorization form on the HR web site if you want your supervisor to provide information about your work performance to a prospective employer, either verbally or in writing.
  • Return all College property, including keys, College ID, College driver's license, uniforms, and laptop or other equipment.

If you have other questions, please feel free to contact Human Resources!

Human Resources
Marble Works
152 Maple St.
Suites 101 & 102
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802-443-5465
Fax: 802-443-2920
Benefits Fax: 802-443-2058