Requesting a Replacement for an Existing Staff Position
**Please note that your replacement request may include modifications to the job description.**
Use the instructions below to request a replacement for an existing staff position in PeopleAdmin. Please note that you should be prepared to provide the following information:
The position assessment form is now built into the requisition process in PeopleAdmin and has been reduced to three questions. They are:
- Please justify your request for replacing/requesting this new position. (Include explanation of alternatives you have considered which may include: retraining/reassignment of duties to existing staff, redesign of work, student labor, outsourcing. Also provide any relevant data on staffing levels at other institutions.)
- How does this position contribute to departmental and institutional priorities and what would the impact be if this position were not filled?
- What is the impact on the budget of filling this position? Is this an allocation or reallocation of previously budgeted dollars or a new expense?
Some additional info that is requested includes:
- The FOAP or Index and Account number tied to this position
- Search committee members that you would like to assign (these can also be assigned later)
- Documents that you will want your applicants to upload (required and optional)
- Questions that you may want to ask your applicants during the application process
- Log in to PeopleAdmin here: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/hr. (Check to make sure that you are logged in as a “Hiring Manager” user type. This drop down is listed next to your name on the upper right hand section of your screen.For information on login credentials click here.)
- Navigate to the Position Management module by clicking the drop down arrow in the field below the PeopleAdmin logo in the upper right hand section of your screen.
- Select the Position Description - Staff tab option.
- In the Staff Position Descriptions list locate the position that you wish to modify. Click on the Position Title (blue text).
- You will now be able to view the information for this position. On the right hand side of the screen you will see three starred options. Select to “Create Requisition for Existing Position (Replacements, Term Ext, Benefits Status Chgs & Postings)”.
- You will be prompted with a message that notifies you that this action will lock the job description while you are processing this action. Click Start.
- Click Next on the Classification screen. (This information is maintained by the Human Resources department.)
- On the Position Information page select the type of action you wish to take on this position. Valid options include: Reclassification, Update Position, and Request Posting (replacement). Fill in or update all other fields as necessary. Click Next.
- On the Supervisor page select the radio set next to the supervisor that should be linked to this position. Then click Next.
- On the Requisition Information page enter the specific information for this requisition request. Please note that some fields are required, and some fields will not be enterable at this point (but are required for later steps in the approval process). Essential Functions field note: in regards to the "Essential Functions" field a job function is considered "essential" when performance of the function is the reason that the job exists. A function may be "essential" when: the number of employees available to perform the function is limited, the function requires specialized skills, the function occupies a large percentage of time, and failure to perform the function may have serious consequences.
- Click Next.
- On the Position Documents field click the Actions drop down next to the organizational chart document type listing and upload or create the org chart that should be linked to this requisition. Click Next. (The Physical Demands document will be maintained by the Human Resources department.)
- On the Supplemental Questions page you can select and create questions that you would like the applicant to complete when they apply for this position. Please note that if you submit a new question it will be reviewed by the Human Resources department before it is approved. You can also designate whether applicants are required to answer the question. Click Next.
- On the Applicant Document page you can designate the documents that you want to allow and/or require applicants to upload when they apply to this posting. Click the check box in the “Optional” column to allow candidates to upload this document type. To require that a document type be uploaded you must click the toggle box in the “Required” column. For any documents you do not check optional or required, they will not be used and will not be an option to the applicant.
- Click Next. At this point you will be taken to the Action Summary page where you can review all of the information that you just entered. If you neglected to complete any required fields there should be a red explanation mark next to that section. Click the Edit option next to that section to add information.
- When you are ready to submit your requisition for approval Click the orange “Take Action on Action” button on the upper right hand section of your screen. The next step in the approval process is a review of your submitted job description, so select the “JD Review (move to JD Review)” action.
- A Take Action dialog box will appear. Enter any comments that you would like to link to the requisition. This information will be saved in the req history so any approver can view this information. In addition, it will be brought to the JD Reviewer’s attention in an email message that is sent to this user type.
- Selecting the “Add this action to your watch list?” option will allow you to track the progress of this approval through your Watch List dialog box on the Home tab. (We recommend that most users take advantage of this handy feature!)
- Click Submit.
- If you have forgotten to complete any required fields you will be notified with a message at the top of the screen. Complete the necessary fields and repeat steps 9 - 18.