COVID-19: Essential Information

Employment Eligibility

Unless restricted by certain visa status, all actively enrolled students are eligible for jobs on campus.  Some may be restricted due to financial aid status.  International students (non-resident aliens) may not work off campus unless they have applied for and received work authorization from the United States government. (An F-1 visa does not give work authorization.) Off campus work study positions are available only to U.S. citizens on financial aid with a federal work study component.

All students are required to complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form after they've been offered employment but before they begin working.  Students will receive an electronic I-9 invitation from HireRight, once a Hiring Proposal has been submitted via PeopleAdmin by the supervisor.

Some International students will complete an 8233 form through the Tax Office's online program.

The link below provides a list of acceptable documents (mandated by the Department of Homeland Security) necessary to complete the I-9 form. Students cannot work or be paid until this paperwork has been completed; this only needs to be completed once as a student at Midd.

List of Acceptable Documents for I-9

Employment may resume in 2021 based on the criteria below;

Spring 2021 Employment 

Students may not return to in-person work until they complete their Day 7 testing and receive negative test results. 

How to apply for a Job

Jobs will be posted online; use the 'Find A Job' option to narrow your search down by on campus or off campus job opportunities. 

Due to the drastic reduction in available positions for the coming Fall semester student employee supervisors may hire only aid recipients for their open positions, this includes rehiring past student workers.  Students who apply to work in AY 2020-2021 must be awarded Federal Work Study or College Job aid. In addition, the following apply to Fall student employees:

  • All open positions will be posted on PeopleAdmin for application.
  • Students who wish to return to a previous position must apply via PeopleAdmin.
  • No increases for returning student employees.
  • Student employees must be located within the United States with a focus on remote work when possible.

Students will receive a notification email once SEO has received and began processing the hire information.

Required COVID Safety Training for on-site work

COVID-19 Working Safely on Campus for Student Employees

COVID-19 Training for Health Officers


Hour Limitations

All student employees are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week in on campus jobs during the academic year (this includes exam periods). The only exception is when there is a full week when school is not in session. Specifically: February recess, Spring recess, and full weeks of December or summer recess. During these time periods only, students can work up to 40 hours per week.
International Students

Visa restrictions prohibit international students from exceeding 20 hours of work per academic calendar week.

For more information related to work restrictions please visit the ISSS website.

Check out the 'Frequently Asked Questions'!