Receiving Form 8233
Form 8233: Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual
- Student / Faculty / Staff / Visitors returns form 8233
- Check whether correct calendar year (should be current calendar year only)
- Check whether Social Security Number is on Page 1 Box 2. If yes, proceed to 4, if no proceed to step 11.
- Check whether individual signed and dated on page 2 and 3
- Tax Office signs on Page 2 (if different person is signing, just cross out name and phone number and correct to signators’ name and phone number)
- Make one copy of first page and write on upper right-hand corner date of fax
- Copy of first page is filed with 8233 folder for calendar year in alphabetical order
- Fax 8233 to (215) 516-3216 or to (215) 516-1507
- File entire document (including copy of W-7 if applicable) in student’s folder in Tax Office or faculty / staff folder at HR or visitor/performer folder in Tax Office
- 8233s can also be mailed. If choosing that route, make copy of 8233 and file copy. Send original to Internal Revenue Service, E08.123, Philadelphia, PA 19255-0725 Use Certified Mail, return receipt requested
- Forms 8233 need to be sent once a week as IRS states that copy has to be forwarded 5 days of acceptance.
- If no SSN, check Banner (PPAIDEN) or ask Donna Paquette in Payroll to check whether SSN is available in system, if yes, enter in Box 2 and go back to step 4.
- If still no SSN, put original Form 8233 into Folder “8233 – missing SSNs”
- Check once a month whether SSN is in Banner.
Last Updated: April 11, 2011