Before Running the Interface
Following steps needed to be done by Taxmanager before Interface for first payroll of first year is ready. Note: these steps need to be taken separately for Middlebury College and than for Monterey Institute of International Studies as they are in separate databases in Windstar and have different payroll dates. Only run this process after you ran all "End of Payroll Year" processes - see separate instructions.
- Run Windstar Update
- Go to Batch Processor (see more detailed description here)
- Set New Tax Year
- Go to "Primary Institution", to "SPT and Other Defaults" and set new "Default signed date" to first day of first payroll of new tax year
- Build list and run Substantial Presence Test for all individuals; fix errors that show up on report
- Build list, print list and run Treaty Analysis for all inidviduals; fix errors that show up on report
- Review the list to ensure that past year students/faculty/staff are not included. If necessary check GOAINTL for updated visa information and update in TaxNavigator. Individuals with expired visa in TaxNavigator might show up because they are set up with Prize, Royalty or Self-Employment in come inTaxNavigator under the Individuals/Def. Income 1 screen (unclick them)
- Make any LPR (visa) inactive in TaxNavigator
- Open Utilities and Archive the TaxNavigator Database. Choose as the year new taxyear-4, i.e., new tax year is 2011, choose 2007, unclick the "Exclude" box, find inactive individuals and archive them
- Still in Utilities delete all 1042S records for new tax year.
- Go back to Tax Navigator, go into reprints to delete just run batch records. Click on "Print/Delete/Upload Batch", then select all reports, all individuals and delete reports. Do choose to keep the institutional reports. This needs to be done twice: once for the Substantial Presence Test batch and once for the Treaty Analysis batch.
- Go back to Batch Processor and rerun Substantial Presence Test for all individuals and treaty analysis for all individuals (no need to print list this time).
- Go back to Tax Navigator, set Tax Year to new year, go to "Reports" and run the "Status Change - Residency: Current Year and Previous Year" report.
- Check this report to ensure whether changes make sense.
Run the Interface
The Interface is only run for Middlebury, not for Monterey as the interface does not correctly set up State taxes. The Taxmanager prepares the payment.dat based on description (link) which takes about 45 min as there are so many records to delete (income codes 15, 16, 20, and 50).
After the interface has run and been reviewed, all individuals who have been set up via this first run needed to be deleted out of the payment.dat file in order to greatly reduce the amount of individuals touched by the interface during the rest of the year.
After Running the Interface
Following steps needed to be done by Taxmanager before Interface for first payroll of first year is ready. Note: these steps need to be taken separately for Middlebury College and than for Monterey Institute of International Studies as they are in separate databases in Windstar and have different payroll dates.
- Go to Mail Merge Export and run the "individual and 1042s" report for the new tax year
- Find the column "1042S_Tax_Residence_CC" column (AQ) and sort for all Indians (IN)
- Send to Human Resources (Dee Gilbert) to ensure that they are all set up with code IND (Indian tax treaty) in the document section of GOAINTL (ID, Last Name, First Name)
- Unfilter the country and instead find column "IRC_Stat" (FD) and filter for RA and RA*.
- Then find column FR "TreatyBenefits_Allowed" and filter for "True".
- Send this list to Human Resources (Dee Gilbert) to ensure that they are all set up with code RTT (Resident Alien for Tax Purposes with Treaty benefits) in the document section of GOAINTL (ID, Last Name, First Name, "RA_Date" (column FC)
- Then change the filter in column FR to filter for "False".
- Send this list to Human Resources (Dee Gilbert) to ensure that they are all set up with code RT (Resident Alien for Tax Purposes, no treaty benefits) in the document section of GOAINTL (ID, Last Name, First Name, "RA_Date" (column FC) ).
- Then remove the filter in FR (show all) so that you only filter for RA and RA* in column FD and find column EA "Income_Code" and filter for income code 19 and 17, i.e., all student employees. The interface sets their social security (FSS) and medicare (FME) deductions to exempt because they are students. We need to set it to active as we are governing the exemption through earn codes instead.
- Send this list to Human Resources (Dee Gilbert) to ensure that they are all set up with active FSS and FME in PDADEDN (ID, Last Name, First Name).
- Open FNIS Administrator, go to Tools/Delete Forms. Choose last tax year and select all forms except form 1042S and form 8843 to delete.
- Update the emails "New Form 8233 Available", "New Form W-9" and "New Form W-9 Treaty" for the new tax year.
- Set New Form 8233 as default email for "Have new forms available" email set up.
- Go to TaxNavigator, go to Reprints and find first individual with Form 8233 for new tax year. Select "Print/Delete/Upload Batch", select Form 8233, click on "Selected Reports Only", choose "Selected Group of Individuals", click on "Select Group", then click on "FNIS Upload". It should be set up to upload the form and overwrite data on the website. Choose to print forms that were not allowed to be uploaded to know to whom to write a separate email.
- Continue same processes for Form W-9 and Form W-9 Treaty (don't forget to change the FNIS email template each time).
- Run Hyperion Report "Non US New Student Report" under the Student/International Students folder for new tax year current students.
- Have student worker compare list to last year's audit spreadsheet. Copy over list of documents available from last years spreadsheet to new years spreadsheet for current students.
- Review list of faculty and staff on audit sheet and copy over into new audit sheet currently employed faculty and staff.
- Delete content in columns for 8233 and W-9.
- Run in Windstar Mail Merge "Individual and 1042S" report for new tax year. Find column FR “Treaty Benefits Allowed”, filter for TRUE, column EE “ExemptionCode”, filter for 4, filter FS “RA_Effective_Date” for non blank, which gives you the resident aliens with treaty benefits. Enter in Audit file TREATY in W-9 column to signify that we need W-9 Treaty form signed for current tax year.
Change FS “RA_Effective_Date” to blank, which gives you non-resident aliens with treaty benefits. Filter column EU “Scholarship” to “N”, which will give you everybody with employment treaty benefits, i.e., everybody who should hand in Form 8233. Update audit sheet with NEED in 8233 column accordingly.
HR will collect all forms and bring them to Tax Office once a week or so.
- Student Workers will update audit file regularly.
- Send reminder emails for Form 8233, W-9 and W-9 Treaty in February and March.
Last Update: January 17, 2010