Parking FAQ

If you cannot find the answer to your question here.  Please contact the Department of Public Safety at 802-443-5133.

Where do I register my car?

The payment process can be found here.

I am living off campus, do I need a commuter permit?

Commuter permits are issued based on where your residence is within a strict geographical boundry. Please purchase a permit according to your class year and contact Public Safety regarding your eligibility for a commuter permit. 

Are the parking rules in effect during breaks? Where do I park?

All traffic and parking rules are in effect during the summer and all breaks. Student vehicles must be parked in student lots. Students who are planning to leave vehicles on campus during the holiday break in December should plan to park the cars in the student sections of the Mahaney Center for the Arts or Kenyon.

My permit has not been delivered, where can I park?

If you are waiting for your permit to arrive, park your vehicle in the Dragonne Track lot. 

Please contact Public Safety with your name and vehicle description to avoid ticketing.  An email  to is preferred. 

Unreported vehicles left in the Track Lot could be subject to removal and fines. 

Vehicles without permits found parked in any other lot are subject to ticketing and towing. 

Information on parking fines can be found here 


What if I am on financial aid and need my car for work or an internship?

The Office of the Dean of the College will consider some exceptions, but if funds are tight you might want to consider options like College Zip Cars. Keeping a vehicle on the road can be very expensive when one considers fuel, insurance, registration and normal wear and tear.

Is the cost reduced if I bring a car later in the term?

The cost of the permit is the same during the term.

What if I want to have my car on campus for a brief period of time?

Temporary permits can be purchased at the Department of Public Safety for $2 a day.


Will parking stickers be required during Winter Term?

Yes. Both fall and spring term stickers are valid during Winter Term. Students on campus with a car during Winter Term must have purchased a fall or spring term sticker.

What if I have to change vehicles after I’ve purchased the permit?

Please follow the instructions located under Transferring Permits found here.

What if I have to change the license plate (temporary plate or new plate number) after I’ve purchased the permit?

Bring in your original permit and the Department of Public Safety will issue another permit of equal value for no charge.

What do I do if my permit is lost or stolen?

Report a lost or stolen permit to Public Safety. You will be charged for a new permit.

My friend is leaving campus. Can I use his semester parking permit?

No. Parking permits are not transferable. Parking permits are only valid when purchased from the College. Please notify Public Safety immediately if anyone attempts to sell you a parking permit.

If I’m planning to sell my car that has a valid parking permit and will put the same license plate on the new car, what should I do?

Please follow the instructions located under Transferring Permits found here.

If I bring a new vehicle to campus, can I transfer my student permit to the new vehicle?

No. Student permits are not transferable. Please follow the instructions located under Transferring Permits found here.

If I have a handicap plate/placard, can I use the handicap spaces on campus?

Yes, you can use the handicap spaces on campus. You will still need to purchase a College parking permit.

If I register on line but decide to leave my car at home, can I get a refund?

If you decide to leave your vehicle at home and have paid via credit card in advance you will be credited. Once the permit is issued, there is no refund.

I have a visitor coming to campus. Do they need a parking permit?

Yes, your visitor must stop by Public Safety prior to parking on campus and obtain a visitor parking pass at no charge. Visitors must bring a valid drivers license to obtain a pass. Vehicles parked on campus overnight without a College decal or visitor's pass will be towed at the owner’s expense.

How much does a parking permit cost?

Pricing information can be found here.

What happens if I do not pay the fee?

Without a valid sticker your car will be in violation of the rules and subject to fines and penalties.  You will be responsible for any subsequent towing costs and/or fees.

If my vehicle is parked far away from my residence hall at night, are there personal safety measures that I can use?

Our parking lots are well lit and patrolled frequently. Emergency phones located in the parking lots and around campus are marked by a blue light and can be used to request an escort. Press the button, and it will connect to the Department of Public Safety.