COVID-19: Essential Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Middlebury meet full need?

Yes.  Middlebury meets a student's full need, as determined by Student Financial Services, with a combination of work, loan, and grant.

Does an application for financial aid affect my chances of being admitted to Middlebury?

Middlebury's admission process is "need-blind".  This means that Admissions does not know of your family's finances when your application is being assessed.  In the case of international students, Middlebury follows a need-blind admissions policy to the extent that financial resources allow.

Are there any merit-based scholarships at Middlebury?

No.  All financial aid at Middlebury is based solely on financial need, as determined by Student Financial Services.

Does Middlebury offer aid to international students?

Yes.  Middlebury meets the full need, as determined by Student Financial Services, of any accepted international student, with a combination of work, loan, and grant.  Generally, there is at least a minimum Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as well.

What if my parents are divorced or separated?

Middlebury requires information from both natural parents, whether they are married or divorced.  The custodial parent (parent with whom the student lives), and current spouse if applicable, must complete the CSS Profile and the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  The non-custodial parent (parent with whom the student does not live), and current spouse if applicable, must complete a non-custodial Profile statement.  Please contact Student Financial Services if there are extenuating circumstances.

Does Middlebury consider consumer debt as part of the aid calculation in determining the family contribution?

No.  Although consumer debt (car loans, credit card payments) is a very real expense for families, it is not considered in the analysis.  We make every effort to treat all families equally, and allowing for consumer debt would give families who owe money an unfair advantage over families who do not.

Does having more than one in the family in college simultaneously affect the family contribution?

Yes.  If the student applying for financial aid at Middlebury has a sibling in college at the same time he/she will be at Middlebury, we adjust the expected family contribution (EFC) to include 60% of the original parent contribution to be paid to Middlebury.  If there are two siblings in college at the same time as the Middlebury student, we include 45% of the original parent contribution in what we expect to be paid to Middlebury.  More than one child in college at the same time does put a heavier burden on the family, and Middlebury recognizes this with the splits we make.  We do not make any adjustment to the family contribution when a parent is in college at the same time as the student; this is a family choice.

If I tell you how much my family's annual income is, can Middlebury tell me if I'll receive financial aid? Can you estimate the amount I may be eligible for?

There is no cutoff to determine eligibility for aid since much more that just income is included in the calculation.  For example, some families with incomes under $100,000 might not qualify for aid because they have high assets, and conversely, some families with incomes exceeding $150,000 might qualify for aid because they have no assets and more than one child in college simultaneously.  We cannot estimate a family's eligibility for aid without receiving all of the necessary application materials.  However, you can utilize our Net Price Calculator, which could provide you an estimate of your family contribution and sample financial aid award.

How does Middlebury treat aid that I receive from outside services?

Financial aid at Middlebury College is need based, and because we meet full need, based on an analysis of family resources, we must adjust the aid package if assistance is received from another source, thus reducing need.  Need based federal Pell grants and state grants reduce College grant dollar for dollar.  Middlebury College allows outside scholarships, such as local scholarships, high school awards, subsidies from parents' employers or National Merit funds, to first replace the self-help (work and loan) component of the financial aid award.  Any outside scholarship aid exceeding the self-help will then reduce Middlebury grant aid dollar for dollar.  Outside aid cannot be used to reduce or replace your Family Contribution (EFC).

Where did the Stafford loan go?

Federal Stafford Loans are often called Direct Loans. Both terms refer to the same loans offered through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program.

Does Work Study or College Job award pay to my student account?

No.. Students are paid directly when employed at Middlebury.

How much does J-Term cost?

There is no additional charge for J-Term.

How does Middlebury deal with fluctuations in foreign exchange rates?

Each year Middlebury's aid decisions take into consideration the updated exchange rates for each country.  We use that rate consistently throughout the academic year.

FAFSA Login Changes?

The FSA ID ― a username and password ― has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to, the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS®) at,,, and Agreement to Serve (ATS) at

Tip: Important: Only the owner of the FSA ID should create and use the account. Never share your FSA ID.

New FAFSA ID Log in page:

Student Financial Services

Service Building
84 South Service Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
P: 802.443.5158
F: 802.443.2065