Cellular Telephone Service
Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, and Sprint offer the best reception for the Middlebury area. For details on any company's coverage, please visit their Web sites. Pre-paid cellular services are also an option. To check coverage, use the Middlebury zip code 05753.
Reception can be weak in some campus locations due to building design and use of dense materials, as well as Vermont’s terrain and cell tower location. Bread Loaf’s campus has close to zero coverage.
For the college’s faculty and staff usage and reimbursement policies contact the Controller’s Office or call Cindy Wemette (x5373).
Apple and Droid Users
- Contact the Computer Helpdesk (x2200) for assistance and guidance.
- Faculty and staff who purchase a BlackBerry device from a carrier may request an account on the College's BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). The advantage to this is that your Microsoft Exchange e-mail, calendar, and contacts are synchronized real-time with your desktop/laptop Exchange services. In order for your device to work with the BES you must contract an unlimited Enterprise Data plan from your carrier.
- If you don't have an account on the BES, you may use Desktop Manager to synchronize with your BlackBerry. The disadvantage to this is that you need to keep your desktop turned on at all times to keep it synchronized. However, if your desktop is powered off, the next time you turn it on, your BlackBerry Exchange applications will be synchronized.
Activating your BlackBerry on the server.
- Before your purchase, replace, or upgrade your BlackBerry to be used on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) contact Telephone Services (x5700 or Telecom@middlebury.edu) for a BES password.
- Bring that password to the store with you and ask the sales person to set up your device.
- Prior to accepting the device and leaving the store, test to confirm you can send and receive messages, your contacts are in place, and your calendar may be updated.
- If you are purchasing the device on-line, call the carrier’s customer support and ask them to talk you through establishing connection to the BES.
Employee Discounts from AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless
Two cellular carriers in Vermont provide selected discounts to college employees. To register for discounted rates:
AT&T 15% discount - for existing service. For new service, go to an AT&T Wireless store and bring in a pay stub or employee identification card and mention code: 3407157.
last update: January 28, 2013