Le Chateau

Junior/Senior Housing

139 Chateau Road

Atwater Commons

Built in 1925, the Chateau is modeled on the Pavillon Henri IV of the Chateau de Fontainebleau. It is home to the Grand Salon, classrooms, French Department offices, and residential rooms for nearly fifty students. Downstairs is a small theatre, once a student dining room, where various language departments stage plays.

The Chateau was once the first and largest continuous "language house" in the country, where students were pledged to the use only of the foreign language of their study. It has long been home to the French School over the summer, serving as both a residence and an office building.  The Chateau its located near Atwater Dining Hall and the E lot student parking.

On the map: