COVID-19 Updates: Fall Semester

Painter Hall

Junior/Senior Housing

Wonnacott Commons

Painter Hall is a residence for upperclassmen. It is named for Gamaliel Painter, one of the College's founders. Originally called West College, Painter opened in 1816 and has previously housed the library, a gymnasium, and the dean's and registrar's offices. The oldest college building in Vermont, it was placed on the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places in 1990 due to its important historic and architectural value. Painter is also part of Old Stone Row, the three oldest buildings on Middlebury's campus. Painter’s interior is portrayed in a Norman Rockwell painting, "Willie Gillis Goes to College" (Middlebury Admissions Office)

It is conveniently located in the center of campus, close to all three dining halls.  The nearest parking lots are either the CFA or E Lot.

On the map: