For Current Updates on COVID-19:

Room Changes

For a variety of reasons, students may hope to change rooms. The timing of a room change has logistical considerations; therefore, the request process is tailored to the circumstances as well as to the time of year.  Please note that there is no guarantee of a room change. Requests are considered based on an individual's need as well as how well their request fits into the overall housing picture.

Individual students with urgent or emergency needs should contact their Commons Dean or Commons Residence Director (CRD).

Before pursuing a room change, residents having trouble with a room or suitemate, are asked to meet with a member of their Residential Life team: FYC, RA, or CA. and make attempts to work through the situation.  If the matter cannot be resolved through discussion and compromise a student should have a discussion with their CRD or Commons Dean to identify possible solutions. A room change request will be considered after such mediation is unsuccessful. 

It is essential to the safety of our residents that housing records accurately reflect where they reside. Room changes made in advance of housing records being updated, including moves from one bedroom to another within a house or suite, are not permitted.

First Steps
  • First-year and sophomore students must generally have the support of their Commons Dean or CRD prior to contacting the Residential Systems Coordinator (RSC) Karin Hall-Kolts about a room change.  Juniors and Seniors may reach out directly to the RSC.
  • Groups requesting a room change must choose one student to act as the Student Rep who will manage all communications regarding the process.  All members of a housing unique who may be affected by the change must be copied on emails.
  • Unless all residents of a suite/house/double are moving out, the Student Rep must email the RSC and provide the name(s) of students who are leaving and of those who have agreed to fill empty beds during Winter/Spring before the posted deadline. Accurate bed assignments must also be provided for each term.
  • All students designated to fill empty beds are subject to approval by the RSC.
  • If returning to campus after a time away a student should still submit a Return to Campus Housing Questionnaire and provide the details of the space they hope to fill, even if they are included on an End of Term form.
  • Any group which misses the deadline may be rehoused at the discretion of the RSC and the space reassigned to another group. 
Logistical Information
  • It is required, when multiple people are involved in a request, that everyone related to the request is copied on all messages. Doing so assists in verifying that everyone involved is agreement with the proposed arrangement. This is a student responsibility; if a person fails to include other members the request may not be taken into consideration. Each student/group should clearly outline all requests on just ONE form.
  • All personal belongings must be removed from a room by the end date of an individual's housing record.
  • Students are required to leave their room in move-in condition. Personal items cannot be left behind for someone else, in either a room, or shared or storage space. Any personal belongings left behind will be removed  and disposed of at the resident's expense.
  • New rooms of students involved in room changes will not be cleaned by Custodial Services. Any concerns about a room or its furnishings should be reported immediately to the CRD or Coordinator, of the Commons to which the property is affiliated (see go/floorplans).
  • Students residing in a suite, house or double have a better chance of being approved for a room change if the remaining suite/house/roommate(s) can identify an eligible student to fill the bed, (with at least 50% of the original room draw group is remaining).
  • Individual rooms that were blocked during the Spring Term Room Draws are no longer considered a unit as of the end of that process. Empty, independent singles (including Forest sink-mate beds), are filled at the discretion of the RSC.
Room Changes During the Semester

If a student would like to request a room change during the fall or spring term they should submit the Mid-term Room Change Request form to the Residential Systems Coordinator, Karin Hall-Kolts.

Please note that during the Fall and Spring Terms housing changes may not take place until the end of the second week of classes. Due to the brevity of Winter Term, non-emergency room change requests are not accepted.


End of Term Room Change Requests

End of Term Room Change requests are accepted during the fall term for Winter and Spring term moves. The main goal of the End of Term process is to house students returning to campus and prepare for the arrival of new Febs.  This is a complex process as there are many individuals leaving, returing and moving at different times which all affect each other.

If a student is currently housed on campus and would like to request an End of Term (Winter or Spring) Room Change, please contact the Residential Systems Coordinator, Karin Hall-Kolts, with "Room Change Request” in the subject line, and  attach a completed End of Term Room Change Request Form.

Details of the Process:

  • End of Term Room Change Forms may not be submitted before October 16. The deadline for submission is November 8.
  • Students cannot make housing agreements with other students who are completly vacating a space to move-in, (rooms/suites or houses- including Forest sink-mates). 

    However, if 50% of the original room draw group are remaining in the space, members of a suite or house, or a roommate left behind in a double can and should find someone to fill that space and should provide the details to the Residential Systems Coordinator by the November 8 deadline.
  • Commons affiliations are not taken into consideration and there is no random number, time slot, point or ranking system in the End of Term moving process.
  • The housing landscape is constantly changing so there is no list of "available spaces" to share with students who hope to move and there is no way of knowing what any student/group's chances of receiving a new assignment may be.
  • The RSC will consider all requests and weigh them against each other as well as the needs of the College.
  • Students who submit End of Term Room Change requests are not given the option to accept or reject a room change.
  • Due to the nature of this process it is essential that students provide clear details about what they would or would not like in a room change.
  • If a student is approved to make a move in the Spring Term and that bed is available as of the Winter Term the student may be required to move earlier.
  • Because students may not find out if an End of Term Room Change request has been approved until right before they plan to leave campus they should make preliminary preparations (organize and clean their room), so they can meet the required deadlines if a room change is approved
  • Students approved for an End-of-Term Room Change must vacate their current room, and, if applicable, turn in their room key before departing campus for a break.
  • Students approved for an end of Fall Term room change are responsible for placing their belongings in storage until they return to campus. Generally in a friend's room who is not involved in a move, (not in any public, common or residential storage space).
  • Students involved in Winter to Spring End of Term Room Changes must be available to make their move on the Monday morning following the last day of Winter Term classes between 9:00 a.m. and noon.  Those who depart from campus earlier must vacate their Winter Term room before they leave, make arrangements to store belongings (see above), and if applicable turn that room key into Public Safety.
  • Students may not pick up a new room key, or move any belongings into a new room, until the official start date of that BANNER housing record.
  • Students not enrolled on campus for a Winter Term and approved for an End of Term room change (Fall or Winter), must vacate their Fall Term room when they depart the campus for the December break. If a student leaves campus before they can be notified if their request for a room change has been approved they must still have made preparations and will need to arrange for a friend to move their belongings out of the room by the deadline.
  • Incomplete forms will not be taken into consideration; it is a student's responsibility to complete the form as instructed, i.e. copy all involved in the proposal on the submission email message.
Filling Empty Beds in Junior/Senior Spaces

During the academic yearm it is a housing group's responsibility to fill any empty beds by a given deadline.

As long as 50% of the original members of a junior or senior suite or house remain and they can name eligible students to fill the empty beds by the posted deadline, they may retain the space.  If not, the option of rehousing the remaining students is left to the discretion of the Residential Systems Coordinator (RSC). The same is true with all doubles.  Residents do not have the descretion to fill vacanicies in individual rooms which were awarded to students during the room draw process.

Any available beds within small, senior houses must be filled by members of the senior class.

Internal Room Changes: Suites, Houses, Townhouses

Students residing in suites, small houses, Interest Houses, Superblocks and Social Houses may change rooms within their residential space without submitting a formal request.

The group's designated representative or leader must email the Residential Systems Coordinator the details of the internal change before rooms are changed so that housing records can be updated.