COVID-19 Updates: Fall Semester

Accessing your Room

Middlebury uses an electronic access system to ensure students, faculty, and staff safe access to College facilities. The MiddCard allows students entry to residence halls and appropriate access to other campus facilities.

Students are also issued a unique room key or touchpad code for their bedrooms. We urge all students to protect themselves and their property by locking their rooms when they are away or are sleeping. Middlebury does not accept responsibility for the loss of money or personal property or for damage to belongings in the residence halls or anywhere else on campus. Check with your insurance carrier to confirm if your belongings are adequately covered.

Touchpad Locks

As of the 2018 Fall Term, all the College’s residences will use Touchpad locks to secure room doors. Each person in a room or suite has their own unique touchpad code. Codes may be viewed on the Housing Information tab of a student's StarRez portal.

  • When residents come to campus on their assigned/approved arrival date they will be "checked in" to their room during the move-in process - giving them access to view their touchpad code in their Housing Portal
  • If you've been checked in and your touchpad code is not visible, contact Residential Life at 802-443-3301 or via email at 
  • If you experience difficulties with your touchpad code or lock when you arrive at your room, please contact Residential Life or Public Safety at 802-443-5133. 
Touchpad Code Changes
To ensure your safety and the security of your belongings do not share your door touchpad code. Should a resident have concerns that their room is not secure (e.g. someone was able to open the door, something is missing, etc.) they must:
  • First, file a report with Public Safety. 
  • Then inform the Residence Director or Program Coordinator with which the building is affiliated.
  • Lastly, email Residential Life ( to request a code change. 
After business hours all urgent requests should be sent directly to the Public Safety office.
NOTE: In non-urgent situations, (i.e., a resident shares their touchpad code and then has concerns about the security of their room), there will be a $25 service charge billed to the student's account for the requested touchpad code change.


Room keys are issued by the Department of Public Safety. Individuals must report lost or stolen keys to the Department of Public Safety immediately. For more detailed residential hall regulations, please refer to the college handbook.

Returning Your Key

When a resident's housing assignment ends, or enrollment ends due to withdrawal, conclusion of the academic year, summer term, or graduation, they must move out of the room and return key immediately. 

During the Academic Yearkeys must be returned to the key to the Commons Office or to the Department of Public Safety.  

Summer Program keys must be returned to the Department of Public Safety.  Individuals may not occupy a room after the housing assignment ends or once the room key has been returned.

Note: Residents who have opted out of J-Term are not enrolled, and must return their key at the end of Fall Term.  Keys will be reissued for Spring Term.

Residents returning to the same room after a break, do not return the key until the end of the academic year.

If you return your key via mail, you must e-mail Key Administration immediately. Alert the department that you are sending your key and request additional time for it to be returned.  When mailing your key, you must send it by FedEx or UPS Next Day Service as lock changes are submitted promptly to prepare for upcoming events and housing.  Do not use paper envelopes. Keys are often stripped out by automated mailing machines and never make it to Middlebury College. Failure to return the key results in a lock change with charges being applied to student accounts. A key is counted as returned when it arrives at the DPS office at Middlebury. 

Failure to return a room key will result in the fines listed below.

  • $50 nonrefundable key charge being billed to the student
  • An additional $50 will be charged for a lock change

If you have any questions in regards to keys, please e-mail

Lost Keys and Lockouts

Any student who is locked out of their room, or has lost their key, is asked to come to the Access and Parking Office located at the Department of Public Safety and pick up a loaner key. If the student cannot come to the Access and Parking Office, a Public Safety Officer can open the room for him/her. The first time an officer lets a student into his/her room there is no fee. Any additional assists will result in the student being charged a $10.00 lockout fee. Officers will request identification before allowing access to any residential room.

If the key cannot be found there is a key charge and a lock change fee for lost and stolen keys.

Note: When residence halls are closed for the holiday break, Public Safety will not be able to provide access unless the student is on the approved list from the commons deans.