Planning a wedding?

wedding vows

Here are the most frequently asked questions about using Mead Chapel for weddings.  Just click on the question to see the answer.  Please call the Chaplain's Office Program Coordinator at (802) 443-5626 to have a more in-depth conversation.

If you want a printed document of the information you find here,

click here.click here.




Who can use the chapel for weddings?

Graduates of Middlebury College, as well as faculty and staff and their children, may use Mead Chapel for weddings.

What is the fee for using the chapel?

The base fee for using the chapel for weddings is $350. One hour is scheduled for each rehearsal. Two hours are scheduled for each wedding. Additional time may be added to your wedding reservation for a charge of $75/hour.  You and your guests will have access to the Chapel 30 minutes before the ceremony, and 30 minutes after the ceremony.   For example, if your wedding ceremony is at 4 PM, your reservation for the Chapel space begins at 3:30 and continues until 5:30 PM.

To confirm your booking, you must return the Chapel fee, the Wedding Confirmation form (contract), and the Hold Harmless Agreement form to the office. Your tentative reservation will be held for 30 days. If you are not able to confirm your booking within 30 days, but would like to hold the date and time, please contact the Chaplain's office.

If you must cancel your reservation, please inform the Chaplain's office as soon as possible. Full refunds will be made if the cancellation occurs prior to 3 months before the reservation date.

When can a wedding be scheduled?

Due to the increased use of the chapel for all kinds of events, we now very rarely schedule weddings during the academic year.  We would be happy to assist you in reserving summertime dates for your ceremony.

Reservations may be made as early as one year in advance.

Because we have limited weekends available for weddings, we encourage couples to schedule either a 1:00 or 4:00 ceremony, so that two wedding parties can use the space on those few sought-after weekends.

The Chapel plays an active role in the College and therefore its programming and appearance are subject to many changes during the academic and liturgical seasons. We will do our best to inform you of any Chapel, College or community event that may coincide with your wedding date or place unusual demands upon the Chapel's appearance or accessibility. Though not likely, unusual circumstances may disrupt reservations made months or even years in advance.

Who do I talk to about scheduling a wedding?

The Chaplain or the Chaplain’s Office Program Coordinator (emckay@middlebury.edu) is available to answer questions regarding Mead Chapel.  The best time to talk by phone is Monday-Friday from 8:00-2:00.

Can we have our reception on campus?

We can no longer host receptions on campus.

Who can officiate at our wedding?

It is the responsibility of the couple to arrange for a cleric or justice of the peace to officiate.

The Rev. Laurel M. Jordan, College Chaplain, is available to officiate at weddings upon consultation. She may require a series of conferences with the couple prior to the ceremony. To make an appointment with Laurie, please call the Chaplain's office at (802) 443-5626, or email her at ljordan@middlebury.edu.

A minister, priest, or rabbi holding ordained status in their denomination or a justice of the peace is welcome to officiate at your wedding in Mead Chapel. However, special arrangements pertaining to particular religions may have to be made. Please check with the local congregation of the church with whom your officiant is affiliated. (Example: St. Mary's Catholic church has certain protocols for visiting priests in the area.)
If the cleric performing your wedding is not licensed in the state of Vermont, by state ordinance, the cleric must write a letter stating his/her formal education, date and place of ordination, by whom he/she was ordained, as well as their present standing in the church. This letter must be signed by the cleric. The bride and groom must write a letter requesting that this cleric be permitted to perform the ceremony. Include in the letter the date, time and location of the ceremony. Both letters should be mailed (together if possible) no later than one month prior to the wedding, to the Addison County Probate Court, Addison County Courthouse, Middlebury, VT 05753.

After you have purchased your marriage license at the Middlebury Town Clerk's office, you must go to the courthouse where they will issue a permit for the cleric, and attach it to your license.  Please call (802) 388-2612, ahead of time to ensure that the permit has been prepared.
Clergy and Justices of the Peace are traditionally given an honorarium for their services. Honoraria vary according to the individual officiant.  Checks should be made payable to the officiant performing the ceremony.

The following is a list of people who have performed weddings at Mead Chapel:  An asterisk denotes member of college community.

*Laurel M. Jordan, Methodist, Chaplain to the College, (802) 443-5626
*Larry Yarbrough, Episcopalian, (802) 388-4169

Justices of the Peace:
Walter Richard Calhoun (802) 388-2534
*Mary M. Hurlie (802) 482-3927
Peg Martin (802) 388-7697
*Michael Olinick (802) 443-5559
*David Rosenberg (802) 443-5612 (W) or (802) 338-6453 (H)

When do rehearsals take place?

Rehearsals are usually scheduled at 6:00 on the night before the ceremony.

Does the college provide a staff person for weddings?

Couples are obligated to arrange for their own clergy person to conduct the ceremony.   A custodial staff person will be on hand during the wedding ceremony.

Is the chapel handicapped-accessible?

Mead Memorial Chapel is accessible to physically challenged persons via a ramp attached to the on the north side of the building.  There are, sadly, no accessible bathrooms.  Handicapped parking is available on Hepburn Road, at the chapel’s back door.