First-Year and Transfer Students
The following instructions must be followed by the appropriate deadlines for financial aid consideration.
U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents must complete the following:
Canadian applicants must complete the following:
International applicants must complete the following:
- College Board CSS Profile
- Employer Statements in English and College Board IDOC: These must be signed by each parent’s employer, listing gross income and benefits received between January and December of 2019. All figures should be converted to U.S. dollars (USD).
FAFSA and CSS Profile Deadlines
|Early Decision I||November 15|
|Spring Transfer||November 15|
|Early Decision II||January 4|
|Regular Decision||February 1|
|Fall Transfer||March 1|
About the FAFSA
- The FAFSA for 2021-22 will be available on October 1, 2020.
- Middlebury’s FAFSA School Code is 003691.
- We recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) if you are eligible, as it is the easiest and most accurate way of entering your tax data.
- Financial aid eligibility for 2021-22 will be based on income information from tax year 2019.
About the College Board CSS Profile
- Middlebury’s CSS Profile School code is 3526.
- CSS Profile (Custodial/HHA)
- CSS Profile (Noncustodial/HHB)
- Required for institutional need-based aid.
- Must be submitted by deadline noted above.
- Required from each parent when they are divorced or separated.
- Middlebury College provides no payment fee waivers for the CSS Profile application. We rely on the College Board to determine who automatically qualifies for a waiver during the electronic application submission process. You may find when you complete the payment process for the Profile that your fees are automatically waived.
- Our office does not accept the ISFAA form or a paper copy of the CSS Profile to consider international applicants for any financial aid resources at Middlebury College, it is important that you complete the CSS Profile if you wish to be considered for any aid.
Applicants from North Korea cannot use the CSS Profile.
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an alternative solution.
- Please be sure to indicate in your email if your parents are divorced, separated, or never married.
Deposited Students: Next Steps
Admitted First-Year and Transfer Students who decide to enroll must complete the following steps:
U.S. Tax Filers
Most students have already uploaded the following items to the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Services (IDOC). If you have not uploaded them, then please do so by May 1. All items are required for parents and students (as applicable).
- 2019 federal tax return with all schedules
- 2019 W-2’s, please include all of them even if you did not file taxes.
- Non-Filing Statement if you did not or are not required to file taxes. This form is available on IDOC.
- Verification Statement. This form is available on IDOC.
Canadian Tax Filers
Most students have already uploaded the following items the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Services (IDOC). If you have not uploaded them, then please do so by May 1.
- 2019 federal and provincial tax returns
- 2019 T-4’s
If you need to mail a packet to IDOC, attach your documents to an IDOC Cover Sheet (available through the IDOC website) and deliver them using one of the methods below:
Courier delivery (FedEx, etc.)
College Board Processing Center
124 Heritage Avenue, Suite #14
Portsmouth, NH 03801
United States Postal Service
College Board Processing Center
P.O. Box 8570
Portsmouth, NH 03802
Federal Processor Verification
The Federal Processor selects some FAFSA filers for a process called verification. Your SAR (Student Aid Report) will indicate if your FAFSA has been selected for verification. If you provided a valid email address on your FAFSA, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access an online copy of your SAR.
If selected for verification, Middlebury College is required to collect additional documentation to check the accuracy of the FAFSA information. We cannot finalize your financial aid award until verification is complete.
You must also do ONE of the following:
- Complete the IRS Data Retrieval (DRT) process from within the FAFSA.
- Request an IRS tax return transcript here and upload it to the College Board’s IDOC.
If our office has questions or needs additional information in order to finalize your financial aid award, we will reach out to the student by email.
The College Board will electronically store your information in a secure environment and the paper copies will not be retained.
Email is easily intercepted and considered an insecure method of communicating personal information. We take your data security seriously and, therefore, we request you DO NOT SEND Personally Identifiable Information (PII) through email.
All documents must be either uploaded to IDOC, faxed or mailed to Student Financial Services. We cannot accept these documents via email.
Office of Student Financial Services
84 South Service Road
Middlebury, VT 05753