Emergency Notification Systems
The Department of Public Safety has the responsibility of responding to, and summoning the necessary resources, to mitigate, investigate, and document any situation that may cause a significant emergency or dangerous situation. The Department of Public Safety has the responsibility to respond to such incidents and to determine if the situation does in fact pose a threat to the community. If that is the case, Federal Law requires that the institution immediately notify the campus community or the appropriate segments of the community that may be affected by the situation.
Middlebury College in Vermont and the Monterey Institute of International Studies, our graduate school, in Monterey, California, both have access to the use of Rave Alert for emergency communications.
In the event of an emergency notification, the Department of Public Safety may use the Rave Alert system to send a message to the College community members. Students, faculty and staff must enter their cell phone number in BannerWeb in order to receive text messages and cell calls from the system. (Remember to update your contact information and phone number in BannerWeb as necessary. Click here for information on entering an international cell phone.)
Messages sent out through Rave will display the following e-mail address and phone number.
- A message sent to e-mail will have the following sender information: Rave Alert [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- A message sent to cell phones will display the following number: 802-388-0409
- An SMS (text message) from Rave will display the number 802-388-0409
These numbers should be added to your cell phone contact list.
The Emergency Web Alert System was created to assist with the rapid dissemination of emergency information to members of the campus community and the general public. The Emergency Web Alert System is comprised of two distinct parts.
- In the event of an emergency, authorized administrators can activate emergency notifications on the College's primary website, http://www.middlebury.edu. These notifications may display information or redirect to MiddAlert.net.
- MiddAlert.net is a high-availability website, hosted by Google, that is used by authorized administrators to post current information about emergency situations at the College. MiddAlert.net is not dependent on the College's IT infrastructure in any way.