Chemical Spill, Detection of Propane Gas, Fumes & Vapors
If you detect propane gas, fumes or vapors:
- Clear the area immediately, providing assistance to those with special needs.
- Do not turn on/off light switches.
- Do not use cell phones in areas where there is a concern of fumes or gas vapors.
- Call 911 from any campus phone or cell phone and report the situation. Call Public Safety at 443-5911.
- Provide your location and the location of the odor to the dispatcher.
- Provide as many details as possible to the dispatcher.
If a building or area evacuation is ordered by the emergency responders:
- Leave all ventilation systems operating unless instructed otherwise by emergency responders.
- Leave the area immediately, avoiding the use of elevators unless necessary.
- Identify those persons with special needs, and provide assistance if possible. Otherwise, provide their location to emergency responders.
- Report to your department’s designated gathering point to be accounted for.
If chemicals have come in contact with your skin, splashed into your eyes or were ingested:
- Follow instructions listed on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Follow the procedures set by your department, which may include utilizing an eye-wash or shower station provided in some areas.
- Call Public Safety at 443-5911 for medical assistance.